Recover Estery Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoutdodge

Reaction score
I brewed up a Strong Old Ale (Listermann's #8434) on 12/29/2009.

I didn't make a yeast starter (I never do and I always seem to have great success) I only pitched a single dry yeast packet and I my OG was 1.09 (I don't remember what yeast I used and don't have the info right in front of me).

I let the beer sit in a bedroom where the temp is consistently between 65-69*

On 1/27/10 I transfered to keg and WHOA :ban:

I know the wort was cool enough when I pitched my yeast because we used a new counterflow chiller my brother built based on a bearing cooler found in the coal fire power plant he works in. We took 5 gal from boiling to 62* in 8 minutes. The wort was also aerated enough from the pump.

I figure the esters came from under pitching. What do you think?

Right now, this beer is at 34* in the cooler sitting under 15lbs of CO2 and has been since the transfer on 1/27/10.

My main question: Is there any way I can rectify this beer?

Yes, I'd bet the esters come from underpitching. Stressed yeast causes quite a few off-flavors, esters being one of them. Time might mellow it somewhat.

For a big beer like that, I'd age it for quite a bit longer - its just been a month since you brewed it. Time (sometimes) works wonders with beer, even smaller beers, but especially big burly ones like yours. I'd let it sit another month and see what happens. And then maybe another month.

ok cool. Thanks for the advise!

At what temperature should I let'er sit? Should it be warmer than the 34* I have it now or should leave it cold and just forget about it for a few months?

If you have the room - let it sit for up to 6 months at room temperature. I'd bleed off most of the pressure. Check it once a month till it tastes right.

Time heals almost anything...

Repitching probably wouldn't get you anywhere - there should be an adequate amount of yeast in the keg to do a cleanup.

This beer is now sitting in the keg at room temp with no pressure. I'll report back in 30 days. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

This beer is now sitting in the keg at room temp with no pressure. I'll report back in 30 days. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

SO, I sat the keg down in the cooler about 4 days ago to soak up some co2 and tried the brew last night. I must say, it recovered much better than I had anticipated. It went from undrinkable to just "different". My girlfriend doesn't care for it but I can definitely drink it to the bottom. If my hydrometer weren't broken I'd have some kind of idea on alcohol content. Nonetheless, I can tell it has more alcohol than any other batch I've made :drunk:

Lesson's learned! But if you ever find that your beer isn't quite right, give it more time!

Back