I don't *think* I ruined my beer... can you give me peace of mind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
So here's the story: I keep a bucket full of sanitizer for dunking things, and a spray bottle for non-dunkable things.

Unbeknownst to me, last night in the middle of my brew session my wife got out a spray bottle of this stuff, and it was on the counter as well: http://www.greenworkscleaners.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/ingredients/

To the best of my recollection, I only used a spray bottle twice:
1) on the lid to my brew kettle while it was chilling
2) on the lid to my fermenter

The first time I honestly don't know which one I used. The second was for sure the GreenWorks, but my wife caught me and I immediately rinsed off the lid and used the correct sanitizer before I sealed my fermentor lid.

I don't think more than a few drops got into my fermentor. I pitched about 350ml of washed S-23 into my fermentor (I'm making a Dortmunder Export), so I'm not super concerned about killing my yeast.

The ingredients are:
* Filtered water
* coconut-based cleaning agent (nonionic surfactant: alkyl polyglucoside)
* corn-based ethanol (ethanol SDA-3C) - :mug:
* fragrance with essential oil - I believe this is lemon oil
* biodegradable preservative - this appears to be Kathon which is a biocide
* blue and yellow colorant

Here's the MSDS sheet:
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/dow...dall-purposecleanerdetergent-clear-7-2012.pdf
It says that it's between 1-5% Alkyl polyglucoside.

The only things in there that would appear to be problematic are the Alkyl Polyglucoside, which is a detergent, and the Kathon, which might kill my yeast. From what I can see the detergent is pretty safe to ingest (especially in such miniscule quantities), and the Kathon (in such an even tinier quantity) probably wont' be able to kill off my yeast, since there's such a good healthy population.

I haven't seen any airlock activity yet, but for a lager I wouldn't expect that, since it's down at 50*F.

I am betting it will be fine. The presence of the surfactant may lead to poor head retention in the beer or no head at all. But other than that I doubt a few drops hurt anything.

I added 2oz of carapils to the recipe, which in the past has produced outrageous heads on my beers, so hopefully that will balance out. The first time I used carapils I had bottles start foaming up when I took the cap off, and I thought I had an infection at first.

If you had gushers it is a sign off an infection or over carbonation, not of a good head.

Krausen is good, yeast are relatively resilient. Im betting you will have a drinkable beer.

Woah, woah, woah... If that "yellow colorant" is Yellow #5, you're doomed!!! You know what yellow #5 does to you, right?? :pipe:

Btw, you're beer will be fine.

If you had gushers it is a sign off an infection or over carbonation, not of a good head.

I thought it was a gusher infection at first, as it started foaming in the neck of the bottle, but it wasn't overcarbed, just opened straight from my cellar (where it's not super cold). They just have a really really good head on them.

It's down to 1.015 already from the OG of 1.054. Holy cow!! The helles this yeast came from took a week to get that far (and has a lot of diacetyl, ugh).

I'm calling this batch ok. I guess this is probably time to raise the temp for a diacetyl rest. :)

Latest posts

Back