Second AG Batch Success - American Wheat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Finished my second AG batch on Friday night: American Wheat recipe half Blue Moon clone, half Blue Star clone. Had 3 friends over to polish off my previous wheat beer (extract batch), and had some Butte Creek IPA and Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. All in all it was a great time, and I think it'll make some great beer! Here's the recipe and measurements from brewing:

6.0 lb. White Wheat Malt
4.0 lb. Pale Malt (2 row)
1.0 lb. Rice Hulls
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (60 min)
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (15 min)
1.0 oz Cascade Hops (5 min)
.25 oz Orange Peel (bitter) (5 min)
.25 oz Orange Peel (sweet) (5 min)
American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)

Mashed in with 4 gallons (1.45 qts/lb.) at 154F, added 2 quarts of 75F water to bring mash temperature down to 152F. Mashed for 60 minutes, single batch sparge @ 175F.

First Runnings SG: 1.060
Final Runnings SG: 1.026
Pre-boil SG: 1.043
Post-boil SG: 1.046
Efficiency: 72% (up 2% from my first AG :rockin:)
Final Gravity Estimate: 1.011
Estimated ABV: 4.56%
Estimated IBU: 16.3
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Wort Collected: 7 gallons
Batch Size: 6 gallons

I'm hoping it will be a good beer, but at the very least I will have made some sort of wheat beer! I'm stoked my efficiency went up a bit...still only at 72% but that aint bad for my second attempt, and with no mash PH fiddling. If you see anything out of whack in my recipe or methodology please let me know!

I put this batch in the fermenter at about 11:00pm on Friday, and it was bubbling like crazy when I got up at 7:00am. Last night the SWMBO complained about nasty fart smell in the garage, which was my wheat beer :D. Apparently this is OK, and fades after the first few days. Then late last night, I hear some pops and burps coming from the garage. I check it out and my wheat is blowing up big time...first time I've ever had a batch do this! Here's a few pics:

Yesterday AM (about 2" of krausen):
DSCF0211.JPG

Yesterday PM:
DSCF0213.JPG

Ok, just took the second gravity reading from this beer: both yesterday and today have read 1.009-1.010, which is right along the lines for the style (1.008-1.013). Starting with 1.046SG, that gives me 4.82% ABV. Tasted the sample, and the orange peel was very nice...and pretty noticable. I like the bitterness, but the sweet I may back off to 1/8 oz instead of the 1/4 I used. I think the cascade, although a bit too strong at this point will mellow out with a couple weeks in the bottle. This recipe was simple and I'm impressed with the taste of the sample...very excited to have this one ready for the 100F days!

If this turns out well after it conditions in the bottle, I'll be putting it up on the recipe database!

Latest posts

Back