Extract vs. All Grain Fermentation Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwongfat

Reaction score
I just did my second all grain batch last night and I've noticed that both of the all grain batches have fermented much more actively than my previous extract brews. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I know my mash tempatures were lower than I had intended, my cooler loses heat too fast unfortunately. I started at 153 or so and had dropped down to 148 and a little cooler around the edges by the end of my 60 minutes. Does this account for the more vigurous fermentation? I know it's nothing to worry about, I'm just curious. I've had problems with hitting my FG with all my extract kits this far and I'm thrilled that my IPA got down to 1.013 in 4 days.

Johnwongfat said:
I just did my second all grain batch last night and I've noticed that both of the all grain batches have fermented much more actively than my previous extract brews. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I know my mash tempatures were lower than I had intended, my cooler loses heat too fast unfortunately. I started at 153 or so and had dropped down to 148 and a little cooler around the edges by the end of my 60 minutes. Does this account for the more vigurous fermentation? I know it's nothing to worry about, I'm just curious. I've had problems with hitting my FG with all my extract kits this far and I'm thrilled that my IPA got down to 1.013 in 4 days.

Well allot of factors play into this. For one the extracts that you buy sometimes have a good deal of unfermentable sugars because of the poor quality control at the factory. Your mash temperature is right on the money for a wort with a high amount of fermentables, but i would definately let it sit for 90 minutes. At temps higher than 158 you extract fermentable sugars but an even more amount of unfermentable sugars lending to body and head instead of alcohol. I believe grain also provides a good deal of nutrients for the yeast instead of extracts, because its fresh and not processed. That is the real benefit of all-grain.

Lower temps means a more fermentable wort. AG = more nutrients for better yeast growth.

Now if I am telling you info you already know just kick me I'll be quiet!

If you throw a gallon or so of really hot water 170* + in your cooler before you get to mashin' it will hold heat a hell of a lot longer. It acts like priming a thermos. If it pre warmed it will keep temp. That way your mash isn't trying to heat the cooler too.

HTH

John

Nwcw2001 said:
Now if I am telling you info you already know just kick me I'll be quiet!

If you throw a gallon or so of really hot water 170* + in your cooler before you get to mashin' it will hold heat a hell of a lot longer. It acts like priming a thermos. If it pre warmed it will keep temp. That way your mash isn't trying to heat the cooler too.

HTH

John

Good tip, The way it works is that 170 degree water when it hits the cooler automatically cools to 168 degrees, and when you add your grains at a ratio of 1 pound of grain to one quart of water will cool to 150 degrees and that my friends is the perfect temp. Hope this clarify's thing a little better

Back