Bachelor ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHDNSD

Reaction score
The kind folks at Deschutes sent me this recipe for their Bachelor ESB.
Can some who are more knowledgeable than I decipher the grain and hops schedule please?
I just might brew this up tonight if I can. Or I'll do my third version of Lagunitas IPA.

Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 gallons
Original gravity: 1.052 - 1.058
Final gravity: 1.014 - 1.019
Boil time: 90 mins.
Fermentation temp: 65 degrees F
Yeast: English ale

Grains:
NW 2 row malt
Crystal malt
Dextrin malt
Munich malt

Hops:
Amarillo
East Kent Goldings
Galena

Typical response. When I was trying to clone Avery's Mephistopheles, I had to use a combination of the bottle label and the website product page. I came up with the IBU's, the OG, the ABV, and the ingredients. Simple, right? Wrong. Nobody knows what the hop schedule is, and without asking them, you'll just have to plug in those ingredients and mess with the times/amounts until you get numbers that match theirs. There's no way to glean actual schedules from that...all you can do is make educated guesses. For example, the vast majority of the grain bill will be the 2-row. You probably don't want more than a pound of dextrin malt. Crystal could be up to 1.5 lbs or so. Munich could be as much as 25%, maybe more.

I've never used Galena hops. Given Amarillo's high AA%, I'm betting they're your bittering hops. Then you add your EKG at 15 minutes and your Galena at 5 or 2. But, again, just guesses,.

I don't have much formulating experience so I ran the ingredients through Beer Smith and came up with this. It seems to hit the mark.

You may want to get some more input especially regarding the hops.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 73.9 %
1.50 lb Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 13.0 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.7 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
0.50 oz Galena [13.00%] (30 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 36.6 IBU
Est Color: 14.7 SRM

Oh man, you have GOT to give up you Lagunitas IPA recipe. I had more than a few of those for the first time a few years back at a SF Giants BB game and really enjoyed them. Do you have a good recipe for it?

Greg

SW Brewer said:
Oh man, you have GOT to give up you Lagunitas IPA recipe. I had more than a few of those for the first time a few years back at a SF Giants BB game and really enjoyed them. Do you have a good recipe for it?

Greg

I brewed it for the 3rd time Friday night. Every time it's been a little different though. Still trying to mess around with it a bit. I'll post it later. I left my recipe book at home.
I can say that the first batch I did I started fermenting in my new "free" fridge with the setting on defrost and it was in there for 3 days before I freaked out thinking it was too cold. I'll keg my second attempt this weekend and see how it goes. My batch from Friday night, I used two different yeasts. Nottingham and T33(?). That should be interesting. Beer is beer and that Lagunitas is BEER.

Back