Willamette Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justus

Reaction score
I'm trying to make an american style pale ale. I got the wrong hops, instead I got williamette hops. Can I still use these in the 60 minute boil, or will it spoil my batch?
Thanks

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Somehow I doubt a differing hop selection will spoil any batch (it will still be beer after all!). If you post the recipe we could tell you how it will differ from the original however.

Well, Willamette has lower alpha acids than Northern Brewer, so you will have to use more hops, but thats ok because Willamette is a pretty darn tasty hop IMHO:D . What is your entire recipe? With that info we may be able to give you some better advice.

+1, the biggest difference will be less bittering for the same amount of hops (which can be accounted for by increasing the amount of the 60 minute addition). The flavour will be different as well but Willamette is a Fuggles variant and is very tasty. :)

If you are only substituting for the bittering add, there won't be much difference. Just adjust the quantity.

Thanks everyone! Great site, I'll be here more often. Gotta go, pot's on the stove. I'll report back.

BierMuncher said:
Glad I could help... ;)
There is a phrase for that. I believe it is "post whoring."

Of course, thats all this post is as well:D

<--- WooHoo! over 600!:rockin:

Personally, I'd use a "tasteless" bittering hop for the initial hopping/bittering. One example that comes to mind is Galena. Then use Willamette for your secondary and tertiary hopping. You'll get your bitterness from your high AA hops and get to enjoy that Willamette spiciness, while conserving your stock of them.

deathweed said:
There is a phrase for that. I believe it is "post whoring."

Of course, thats all this post is as well:D

<--- WooHoo! over 600!:rockin:

Post Whoring? What's that?

jds said:
Post Whoring? What's that?

Posting a otherwise worthless, meaningless, off topic reply for no other purpose than to increase your post count.

And if your question was meant to be sarcastic, than you to are guilty:D (of course, my reply makes me guilty as well. Again....)

count barleywine said:
Willamette is a great flavor hop. BOOM

I did my SMaSH brew with 2 row and willamette and its going to be one of my 2 permanent fixtures in my kegerator. I might just add a little crystal to the next batch.

Willimette jumped up a a bunch of spots on my favorite hop list after that brew.

SuperiorBrew said:
I did my SMaSH brew with 2 row and willamette and its going to be one of my 2 permanent fixtures in my kegerator. I might just add a little crystal to the next batch.

Willimette jumped up a a bunch of spots on my favorite hop list after that brew.
I've got a ton.

Care to tell me what (flavor) I'd be in for with a willamette only APA?

SuperiorBrew said:

I bought a bunch of Willamette mostly because Freshops had it cheap, and didn't limit you to 1lb. After a recent batch of Orfy's Hobgoblin I did where substituted ALL the hops additions for Willamette, I think this is rapidly becoming one of my favorite hops. That batch of hobgoblin almost didn't make it to the secondary, and while only 3 weeks old at this point, may be put on tap as soon as I have an open spot:D BEST tasting green sample I have ever had. Can't wait to see what it matures into:rockin:

Bottled this batch about a week ago, will update when it's ready and report taste and recipe.

SuperiorBrew said:

so...has anyone made a SMaSH brew that wasn't fantastic??? i've heard nothing but good things about all of them. Mine were both great...i'm also going to continuously make my Vienna + Northern Brewer SMaSH.

count barleywine said:
Willamette is a great flavor hop. BOOM

I used 2 oz. Willamette as my flavor/aroma hops in my brown ale, and although it's not quite ready to drink, the flavor right before bottling was amazing. You know a brew is good when it's very drinkable before it's even carbonated.

Ok, took my first taste tonight. It's pretty good, a little woodsy (lack of any other way to describe it...) It reminds me of sitting in front of a camp fire. I should have added a bit more malt. Not a recipe worthy of sharing in my opinion...

DeathBrewer said:
so...has anyone made a SMaSH brew that wasn't fantastic??? i've heard nothing but good things about all of them. Mine were both great...i'm also going to continuously make my Vienna + Northern Brewer SMaSH.

I am beginning to think maybe making the recipes simpler will make better brews. Back to the KISS principal.

Its only been a few weeks, give it some time. You will appreciate it MUCH more if you do:D

deathweed said:
Its only been a few weeks, give it some time. You will appreciate it MUCH more if you do:D

You are correct, I put my beer in the fridge the day I plan to drink it so it has a little more time to ferment, and each time it tastes better...

I read somewhere that to increase alcohol content, you should use malt, not corn sugar. I have been using corn suger. Is this true?

BierMuncher said:
No. Nothing is as fermentable as corn sugar.

What about the Brewvint Alcohol Boost you can get from Austin Homebrew Store?

I love Willamette!!! When I started brewing I kept telling my brewmentor that I love malty and hate hoppy. I think very soon that I will be making a 5 or 6 oz willamette brew that is of medium to low maltiness. I love Willamette!!! :rockin:

:tank:

Latest posts

Back