Visible bubbles for only 1 day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatman

Reaction score
I am a newbie here....first post of many.

My first batch was an extract recipe for Fuller's ESB. It bubbled for about 2 - 3 days in my primary. It turned out great and I am pleased with the brew for my first batch.

My 2nd batch is an extract recipe for Paulaner Oktoberfest. It bubbled vigoursly starting probably after about 3 hours, but only bubbled for a day. Should I be concerned that it only visbily bubbled for one day? It has been in the primary about 5 days now.

Thanks,

meatman

Fermenting around 69 - 70F. Using an Ale Yeast that the guy at the brew shop told me should work fine.

Bubbling isn't a very reliable indicator of fermentation, so don't worry about it. I'd wait a couple of more days and check the sg. It should be ok.

The only reliable way to gauge fermentation is do use your hydrometer. But no reason to check it now- might as well wait a few more days.

Edit- And welcome to HBT!

Okay.. Thanks for the feedback. I think I need a testing tube for the hydrometer. I was not able to get a very accurate reading due to bubbles on the surface in my fermenter. I think it was about 1.1, but I read that it should be around 1.035 to 1.050 so maybe I was just misreading it.

meatman

So I took an sg reading after 7 days and it was 1.017 - 1.018 which I thought was high. My brew has been in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks now (going to try secondary on my next batch to a 5 gallon glass carboy I got). I was going to take another sg reading last night and most likely bottle, but I got sidetracked with Christmas decorations. My primary is in the corner of my bedroom because that is the coolest place in my house. I am laying in my bed this morning about to get up and go to work and I here bubbles in my air lock. Sure enough I have spontaneous activity after 2 1/2 weeks. Is it possible for fermentation to kick off again after this long? I can barely push down on the lid of my bucket and see bubbles in the airlock so I know I have pressure in there. I have been periodically doing that since day 7 and have detected no pressure. Now the temperature in my bedroom was a little higher than ususal 71 - 73F because it was cold and my wife jacked up the thermostat. Perhaps that made the yeast happy. Or do you think I might have infected my batch when I took the sg reading on day 7 and the gas in my bucket is from bacteria etc? I am off on Friday and will take another sg reading. If its down around 1.015 or less I think I am going to bottle it assuming I don't open the bucket and find some alien growth in there. Any advice is appreciated?

Thanks,

meatman

I got the ingredients at my local brew store. Here are the ingredients. I used an ale yeast (windsor) I believe since this isn't cold fermented.

5# light extract
1.5# munich extract
.5 tsp calcium chloride
.75 oz. germam perle
1 oz. german spalt

I just cracked the lid on my bucket and took a look. It looks real good in there. I don't see anything that looks like foreign growth. I see some bubbles on the surface and some hops remnants. I took a sample and tested the sg. It is 1.014 - 1.015 right now which means it dropped since my last sample of 1.017 - 1.018 on day 7. I took a small taste and it has good flavor already and a nice color. I'm going to give it another day or two and check the sg again. If it is the same I am going to bottle. It just really surprises me that the fermentation seemed like it was over and kicked off again after 2 1/2 weeks.

meatman

Latest posts

Back