Do I need a blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always use a blow off tube. Better to be safe then have stained walls and ceilings..

I also always use one too, even when I've used fermcap foam control.

Conversely, no.

Fermenting 5-gal batches in 6-gal carboys, I've only ever needed a blowoff once, for a hefeweizen some years ago. I wound up using the blowoff for the next few batches, but mostly just because I liked it, not so much because it was needed.

I am brewing an IPA. O.G. 1.060. I am going to use one to be safe. Just wondering how necessary it is.

Cap'n Jewbeard said:
Conversely, no.

Fermenting 5-gal batches in 6-gal carboys, I've only ever needed a blowoff once, for a hefeweizen some years ago. I wound up using the blowoff for the next few batches, but mostly just because I liked it, not so much because it was needed.

And while fermenting between 5 and 5.5 gallons I've ALWAYS needed one. Yay for finding an expert for every opinion!

Be safe and slap one on. Better to use one when not needed, then have to clean up that mess.

Buddy did an Irish red recently, I offered him a blow tube and he declined. Next day the beer shot it's load all over newly painted wall and ceiling. Guess what he uses now. ;)

I only use a blow off for my bigger beers...and then it's only a hose connected to the tube on the airlock. I use 7 gal buckets for 6 gal brews and on some of the big beers there is a lot of activity going on.

norsk said:
I only use a blow off for my bigger beers...and then it's only a hose connected to the tube on the airlock. I use 7 gal buckets for 6 gal brews and on some of the big beers there is a lot of activity going on.

Are there other blow off set ups? I just connect a hose to my airlock and stick the other end into a bottle with starsan.

Back