BIAB wort amount ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
About to do my first BIAB brew day. My question is that to check the brew-house efficiency one needs the OG of the wort and the amount thereof. If using a plain brew kettle, with no gauge, does one just guess at the wort amount based on marks on the outside of the kettle, or is there some other way I am unaware of? Just checking as I'd like to know how I do on my opening attempt.

befus said:
About to do my first BIAB brew day. My question is that to check the brew-house efficiency one needs the OG of the wort and the amount thereof. If using a plain brew kettle, with no gauge, does one just guess at the wort amount based on marks on the outside of the kettle, or is there some other way I am unaware of? Just checking as I'd like to know how I do on my opening attempt.

I used a 1 gallon jug and put a mark on my mash paddle for each gallon so I know about how much is in my BK.

Yea since you will always use that brew pot, go ahead and get a measuring stick or something you can make marks on. Fill your pot with .5 gallon and put stick in and make a mark (I use black perm marker). Then fill with another .5 and mark again. Keep making marks for .5 gallon increments. The measuring stick will def be useful a lot.

Thanks guys. I think I'll get a dowel and mark it as you recommended and then give it a couple coats of urethane to make it semi impervious to the wort and 'get er done'. Maybe a piece of white/grey pvc half inch pipe would also be worthwhile and easier to clean. Appreciate the advice.

My brewpot has straight sides, so I just measure the depth of the wort with a metal ruler and do the math based on the pot diameter.

I used a knife to make marks on my mash-spoon at gallon increments. Heck, I don't even use a measuring device to fill it with strike now. just the spoon. I adjust absorption and such and I'm zeroing in on my volumes.

Back