Beer gets better with age....but how bout with 10 YEARS of aging???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heertsy

Reaction score
The coolest thing happened to me today. My grandfather died about 6 months ago and today I went with parents to help them clean some stuff out of his house.

I happen to look in a top kitchen cupboard, and what do i find???? I find about 6 bottles of "holiday ale" that my brother home brewed about 10 years ago, and a pilsner that i brewed about 8 years ago. I also found a nice collection of German brews as well!

Needless to say, i came away a happy man. My only question.....would a homebrew stay good for THAT long??? I have heard of appropriate aging, but that is ridiculous!

I have a couple chilling in the fridge, will try tonight. If i am gonna kill myself though, i hope i get the appropriate advice from this board ahead of time!!!!

Am gonna :mug: and hope i don't :cross:. If not, I am gonna :rockin:

First, sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Regarding the beer, I'd assume it would be okay to drink, but I wonder if it will be any good. A quick look and a smell will probably give you a pretty good indication whether it is safe to drink.

And ummm....why didn't your grandfather drink it?

Thanks for the kind words about my grandfather, can be too sad though, he lived to be an OLD man.

I don't know why he didn't drink them. I am sure we gave them to him as Christmas presents or something a long ways back.....and i guess he just put them up there and forgot about them.

I think he liked the hard stuff better. I never saw him misplace a bottle of MadDog 20/20

I suspect most of them will be deaders, except maybe the holiday ale. Barleywines & such can handle that much aging.

I can't imagine the Pils is any good, but it won't hurt you to try it. The Holiday Ale, it'll probably depend on exactly how big it was brewed. Doubtful it's good, either, but hey - it's worth a shot!

Tried em both, and you know what?? BOTH WERE AWESOME!!!!!!!!! No bland or nasty tastes at all. Definitely had a bit of sentiment, but home beer does anyways.

Needless to say, I was amazed and surprised. Both were GREAT! I couldn't believe it!

I just think it's funny that the first 3 words after "The coolest thing happened to me today" are "My grandfather died." For a split second there I was thinking, 'that heartless bastard'. lol

shlap said:
I just think it's funny that the first 3 words after "The coolest thing happened to me today" are "My grandfather died." For a split second there I was thinking, 'that heartless bastard'. lol

that what i was thinking lol

I also just noticed a Freudian slip -- you said 'sentiment' instead of 'sediment' when you drank your grandfather's beer.

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa -- glad to hear the homebrew was good! I bet tasting those is a memory you will carry for a long time.

heertsy said:
Tried em both, and you know what?? BOTH WERE AWESOME!!!!!!!!! No bland or nasty tastes at all. Definitely had a bit of sentiment, but home beer does anyways.

Needless to say, I was amazed and surprised. Both were GREAT! I couldn't believe it!

Back