LHBS vs. Online Cost, a dilemma for sure!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
So in putting together the eight ingredients for this imperial pumpkin ale, I purchased everything from my LHBS (except the pumpkin and spices of course). I experienced a bit of sticker shock, and using the receipt, went online to see how the prices compared with Midwest and home delivery.

Midwest, total order $37.50 + $9.83 shipping = $47.33

LHBS, total order $56.96 + $4.61 tax + 2 gallons of gas $5.78 = $67.35

Yikes! a $20 difference, the LHBS is 40% higher.

I really want to support the local businesses, and of course like the convenience of going there and chatting it up (not to mention they brew on site, so I have a pint or two) but paying $15 for a 3-lb. bag of DME that is only $10.95 online just seems excessive.

Maybe this is just a rant, I don't know. Does anyone else have this issue with a desire to support the local businesses vs. saving money?

I am in the same boat. I feel bad buying all my stuff online but the closest "local" store is over an hour drives away. It usually costs less in shipping than I would spend in gas and that is a real kicker. I feel bad because the LHBS helped me out a lot for my first several batches and the guy who runs it is very nice.

Join or establish a local home brewers club! Then use the club as leverage to make some deals with the LHBS. It should be win win as you get more reasonable prices and the LHBS gets more business.

Our LHBS gives our club 10% off. Also, the LHBS will do bulk grain purchases with us for near cost. I get all my grain, yeast and sundries at the LHBS. I buy my hops in bulk on-line. I also buy larger equipment like pots and pumps on-line.

I really like to buy my yeast locally. less damage in shipping from the heat. So I try to support my local shop just so I have a good source for yeast when I want it. But I'm also a major cheapskate.

Join or establish a local home brewers club! Then use the club as leverage to make some deals with the LHBS. It should be win win as you get more reasonable prices and the LHBS gets more business.

Our LHBS gives our club 10% off. Also, the LHBS will do bulk grain purchases with us for near cost. I get all my grain, yeast and sundries at the LHBS. I buy my hops in bulk on-line. I also buy larger equipment like pots and pumps on-line.

I really like to buy my yeast locally. less damage in shipping from the heat. So I try to support my local shop just so I have a good source for yeast when I want it. But I'm also a major cheapskate.

+1 this is 100% accurate and the EXACT same for me, including the club discount yeast and grain. I also buy my hops (oddly they are local but online none the less.)

I like going in and chatting as well not to mention I order the wrong hops or change a recipe at the last minute or have some other emergency and need some small item...OFF to the LHBS!

however I can not beat my wallet either. I like to think I give them enough business to help keep them open but I have 0 guilt about NOT buying really over priced items.

Hey Weeb-

You weren't at the Brewhut at about lunchtime yesterday were you?!

I do agree it is a delimma, my bill yesterday was

CO2 15.00
4lbs whit wheat malt 6.00
Safale 05 3.50
2 Muslin bags 1.50
Plus Tax

This time the Brewhut worked out great for me, because minus the CO2 fill my bill would have been ~$12 after tax, ordering from NBer it would have been $18.44 after shipping. My gereral rule of thumb has been that I will order equipment online and ingredients/supplies from LHBS.

Big brew day beginning at 7 am tomorrow!

Brewhut, yesterday, yes, but around 3 pm. I picked up my stuff and then sat outside with a pint of their pumpkin ale. I really like the store and the couple that runs it (my assumption), but since it is attached to Dry Dock brewing, I would assume they would really be able to buy in bulk and pass the savings on.

Looks like you did alright this time. Going all-grain would save a huge amount of $$$; must ask santa for a nice brew scupture!

Hey Weeb-

You weren't at the Brewhut at about lunchtime yesterday were you?!

I do agree it is a delimma, my bill yesterday was

CO2 15.00
4lbs whit wheat malt 6.00
Safale 05 3.50
2 Muslin bags 1.50
Plus Tax

This time the Brewhut worked out great for me, because minus the CO2 fill my bill would have been ~$12 after tax, ordering from NBer it would have been $18.44 after shipping. My gereral rule of thumb has been that I will order equipment online and ingredients/supplies from LHBS.

Big brew day beginning at 7 am tomorrow!

I always went with LHBS until he backed out of the club discount citing he was losing too much profit.

Feck that. You can get discounts online for just being a member here.

Guess I'm lucky. I live about 8 minutes away from Home Brew Mart (www.homebrewmart.com)

Grain prices are very reasonable, as are Hop and Yeast prices. best thing is I don't need to buy a grain mill as they have a nice big power mill thats free to use. I just weigh out all my grains, dumb em in, run it and i just drive home and brew.

I only get equipment stuff online and even then its only the really big ticket stuff.

I really really want to support my LHBS, but every time I've gone in I've had to make multiple substitutions in my recipes to account for their inventory. I'm happy to pay a little more to shop local, I think it's REALLY healthy for the community, but not at the expense of the beer I formulated.

So now I buy in bulk online and try to keep as much inventory of specialty grains as I can reasonably use. I still try to go to the LHBS occasionally to stock up on things I might be running low on, but never count on them to fill out a recipe I'm about to brew.

I think part of it though is just the reality of living in a smaller town.

The price difference is similar for me except my LHBS doesn't allow drinking on premises and do not seem to want to 'chat it up' at all. They act like they want you out of there ASAP. And they're not friendly. So I don't feel bad (actually just the opposite) by not giving them any of my 200 gal/yr (;);), nudge, nudge) business.

Plus I often get swag online (yay extensive 'Celebrate' beer glass collection!).

I'd like to be able to suggest discussing this topic directly with the proprietor of the local store with hopes that they adjust their margin to something you can respect but you likely won't get anywhere. If you mention mail order, most shop owners get all pissy about it. It's unfortunate because listening to the customer is the only way to serve them better.

I always use the LHBS. I would probably do some shopping on-line but I hate waiting for something to come in the mail. Maybe I should work on that "planning ahead" thing people talk about. But yeah, I do know what you're talking about, I live a solid 40min from my LHBS and the prices are definitely higher but they are good people and a good resource to have around.

I like my LHBS, but there are some things that they don't carry. I don't mind ordering those things on line, since it's obviously something that I need/want, and their ordering procedures to get something in stock is a lot slower than ordering it on line.

Doesn't hurt that I'm able to get a couple "tastes" while I'm shopping either.

Latest posts

Back