Hop Schedule for Simcoe Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalamson5368

Reaction score
I'm looking to evolve a recipe i made a few months back, It was an All Simcoe Amber i loved the taste, and especially the aroma.

This time around i bought some Amarillo Hops as well, hearing that they pair well with Simcoe. I'm not too familiar with making my own recipes, hence why i went straight simcoe last time. I was wondering if anyone had some feedback on this hop schedule. Should i be using some Amarillo for flavor as well?

USE TIME Oz VARIETY FORM AA

boil 60 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 9.3

boil 60 mins 0.5 Simcoe pellet 12.2

boil 15 mins 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.2

boil 10 mins 0.25 Simcoe pellet 12.2

boil 5 mins 0.25 Simcoe pellet 12.2

boil 1 min 0.25 Simcoe pellet 12.2

dry hop 7 days 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.2

Cheers,
Jack

There's a recipe on here for a DFH 90 Minute clone, using 2-row, Thomas Fawcett Amber malt, Simcoe and Amarillo. If you haven't tried the DFH, it's a winner (IMO). I'm actually thinking of trying my hand at this recipe this weekend.

Never personally used either hops though I purchased several ounces of each today. That being said I think the amarillo should also be used for flavor and if my recipe aroma as well. I have always made my own recipes and always scored high 30's in competitions. I plan on doing an all amrillo then all simcoe. Followed by a combo of the 2. Boiling the amirillo for 60 you will lose its trademark aroma and flavor.

I love simco and Amarillo together. Just a suggestion but i would not use them to bitter with. They are to expensive and hard to find now. Maybe try magnum or even centennial to bitter with and use the Amarillo at flame out and add the simco to your 5 or 1 min addition.
Warrior is also another option to bitter with.

I agree with with billy, use some other easier to find low co-humelone hop like magnum or bravo to bitter, I like Columbus as well. Save those simcoe and amarillo for flavor and aroma. If your stuck on all simcoe/amarillo, then shift everything to the last 20 to 30 minutes and up the amounts. The utilization isn't dramatically different at 30 min than it is at 60 but you'll still get the flavor components out. I will preface the following statement by saying that I haven't actually plugged it into any software but your current hop schedule looks like too many IBU to be stylistically correct, also who gives a hoot about style other than BJCP judges. If I'm to assume you have 1 oz of amarillo and 4 oz of simcoe than I would perhaps suggest:

1 oz simcoe 30 min

1 oz simcoe, 1 oz amarillo 15 min

1 oz simcoe 1 min

1 oz simcoe dry hop.

When I do my amber/red I hit it with 1 oz @ 20, 2 oz @ 10 and 2 oz @ flameout, I haven't bothered with a dry hop on it but you could if you wanted to. I most recently did this with the new zythos blend and rager calculates my IBUs to be 32 which is a nice spot (again by style) for an amber.

Latest posts

Back