Looking for a Burner and Pot, good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollhousebrewery

Reaction score
I am using my tax money to upgrade a little. I am planning on building a 12gal mlt with a Igloo Ice Cube 48qt cooler. I only have a 4 gallon pot right now, and wouldnt have enough money for a nice pot yet, but I would like a stove for those big boils. I found this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYOG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
and was wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment. Would that pot be enough to handle weekly brewing until I can afford a nice new pot?

Last edited by a moderator:
A 30 quart pot is cutting it really close. You could probably do it but you would have to be a real watchdog during boiling.

If you don't mind spending a few more dollars per batch, you can get away with 30qt. You end up having to up your grain bill so that your lower preboil volume is of acceptable OG. If you want to save money, you runoff to a higher preboil volume and condense it down with a longer boil.

Here's an example, using a batch sparge, I was nearly at my 6.5 gallon limit (30qt pot at the time) with my second runnings and they were still at 1.025. I had to stop there thus leaving quite a bit of sugar behind in the mash. The alternative is to keep running off into a second vessel and only adding that into the kettle once you've boiled off a bit.

I suppose if you consider the cost of fuel, it may be a wash. In any case, you'll have to babysit the kettle. Heck, you can boilover with 7 gallons in a 15gallon keggle if you're not careful.

I am just looking to use it until I can afford a keggle or maybe a nice brew pot. I want to do 5 gal mid range (1.040-1.080) brews, until I get a nicer pot. Then it will time for some Imperials! How does that burner look? Anyone have any experience with it? Is it efficient? How fast can it bring 7gal to a boil?

Are there any other good ones out there people can suggest? I have ~270 for a mash tun, kettle and burner (for now), crap, I need a wort chiller too. How much should I budget for the listed things? 450?

Back