Carbonating cider in the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingInCIDER

Reaction score
Hey guys.. hopefully yas can help me out.

I just bottled some cider from the secondary and added sugar to the bottles and then put in the fridge.

There's NO carbonation happening... so I'm wondering is there any way to still add carbonation in the bottles given where I'm at?

Thanks!!

How long ago did you bottle it? How much sugar did you add? Did you let it carbonate at room temp or warmer for a while before you stuck it in the fridge? It WILL most likely eventually carbonate in there but it will do better if it's at a warmer temp for a couple weeks, at least that's my experience!

Your problem is that you put the bottles in the fridge right after priming them. You need to let the bottles sit at 70-75° F for a couple of weeks for carbonation to occur. In the fridge, the yeast goes "to sleep" and will never carbonate your cider.

Sticking the bottles directly in the fridge is slowing down the yeasties' metabolism, subsequently slowing down carbonation. Pull those bad boys out to somewhere that is room temperature and check them again in a few weeks.

You need to pull the bottles out of the fridge to get proper carbonation.Two weeks at room temp will usually do it, but since we are discussing a living organism nothing is ever written in stone time wise.

Latest posts

Back