which Thermometer to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
So i want to get an electronic thermometer to leave in during boil/steeping and am wondering which kind everybody uses. Some of the ones i see shut off after they reach certain temperatures, and some are not meant to be submerged into water etc. Just looking for some recommendations. thanks

After lots of web searching I went with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-1470-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSC5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1291292566&sr=1-1

Any similar will serve well. I dangle the cord over the edge of the pot & let most of the metal probe dip into the wort. Setting the alarm for 210F or so gives a great heads up to avoid boil-over. Once you hit boil just pull it out. The alarm is also a nice warning if you're steeping and temp starts to climb. If you go AG these also are great to leave in the mash to see what kind of temp loss you have in the tun.

Just keep the spot where the silicone cord enters the probe just above the water level and you'll have no issues. An awsome low cost piece of gear. It's something I wish I'd bought much sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I discovered the hard way that some of these digital thermometers are not meant to be left in water for long periods of time (the probes are not water tight, only water resistant) so be careful with that.

Back