Secondary and bottling advice for higher temp lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
I have brewed the recipe below trying for a clean ale with lager like properties. The primary fermentation started slow then stayed high and steady for 8 days. I racked to secondary today after only getting a bubble every 60 seconds in my lock.
The yeast was chosen as lager yeast that ferments up to 65. I kept it at 58-60 for most of primary and will do same for secondary.
My goal is to do whatever I can to increase the clean lager like qualities for the remaining process. I kept 1.25 cup of the DME for priming.
Keep in mind, I plan on taking a 12 pack with me for thanksgiving (1 month from now), the rest can age longer.
I would like to know how long I should keep in secondary, in bottles and whether or not I should cold condition them after that. (Also - do I need to keep temp at 58-60 for priming?)

5.5 lbs Muntons DME - Extra Light (60 min)
1.0 lbs Belgium Aromatic Malt (30 min steep @ 155)

Tettnanger whole 4.5 a.a. 1 oz (60 min)
Saazer whole 3.2 a.a 1 oz (10 min)
Saazer whole 3.2 a.a ½ oz (6 min)
Sazzer whole 3.2 a.a 1/2 oz (flameout)

WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)

You're already really short on time if you want it ready for your Thanksgiving.

Try lagering the batch for two weeks @ 32*F or so, and bottle just your dozen using a proportionate amount of sugar. leaving them at room temp to ensure that they carbonates adequately.

The rest of the batch can go into a smaller carboy and finish lagering for another month or two.

Sorry, forgot to mention. I am still brewing as an ale. I do not have lagering space, that is why I chose this yeast. So how about cold condition in bottles after priming is done? And the secondary time?

I was 8 days in primary until 1 bubble per minute, now in secondary for 3 days.
How long should it go in secondary and for priming, and would it be beneficial after priming to cold condition the bottles?
I am taking a 12 pack of it with me on trip for thanksgiving.(30 days) I do not have space to lager the batch, but could cold condition at least the bottles that I am taking with me. Should I do that or just let them continue to prime at room temp (70 deg in my house) Thanks

You could def. cold-condition the bottles, but that might result in lackluster carbonation if you don't give them some time in a warmer location first. Try another week in secondary, then bottle it. Let the bottles sit at room temp for a week, then cold-condition them. That should ensure adequate carbonation while still getting some lager condition in there too, and they should be alright by thanksgiving.

Next time you're brewing under time constraints, I'd suggest staying away from lager yeasts.

Back