MLT and burnt grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_13

Reaction score
I am using an Igloo cooler for my MLT now but want to do step mashing. I have a converted keg and want to use it as my MLT but am not sure if I want a false bottom because of the cost and problems I have heard about them and the braid has worked great so far.

Can I use a SS braid like in my cooler or will I end up with burnt grains? Will low heat and stirring work? Any other options to prevent burnt grains?

You might get away with it if you stir really well and keep the flame low but that's going to limit how much grain you use. You can't expect to keep the bottom well stirred with 25+ pounds of grain.

Have you tried step mashing via infusion or decoction? What are you brewing that you feel would benefit from step mash? Is it enough of a reason to give up the convenience of a temp-holding mash tun? Just food for thought.

Have you tried step mashing via infusion or decoction? What are you brewing that you feel would benefit from step mash? Is it enough of a reason to give up the convenience of a temp-holding mash tun? Just food for thought.

No, I was going to try infusion but it seems like I would not be able to raise the temp to mash without using almost all of my sparge water even adding boiling water.

Not sure if I want to do a decoction but did find this video and it looks doable in a cooler. He is heating the grains directly on the burner, slowly, so I think I would be able to will the entire mash in the keg with a braid.

:confused:
But that raises another question what is gained by boiling part of the mash as opposed to just raising the rest temp and then mashing?

I like wheat beers and want to do several rests. I haven't been doing AG long but know I like dunkles weissbier. :mug:

No, I was going to try infusion but it seems like I would not be able to raise the temp to mash without using almost all of my sparge water even adding boiling water.

Not sure if I want to do a decoction but did find this video and it looks doable in a cooler. He is heating the grains directly on the burner, slowly, so I think I would be able to will the entire mash in the keg with a braid.

:confused:
But that raises another question what is gained by boiling part of the mash as opposed to just raising the rest temp and then mashing?

I like wheat beers and want to do several rests. I haven't been doing AG long but know I like dunkles weissbier. :mug:

Before you use a stepped mash it would really be handy to know what type of grain you are working with and why you would want to use a steped mash. I just wrote up an informational post about this topic: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/malt-modification-how-read-malt-analysis-sheet-143252/. If you are going to use a highly modified malt, step mashing may not be the best choice.

I also question your assumptions on the false bottom. True, they are not cheap but I think you would be more likely to get a stuck mash using a braid than a false bottom. The braid has less surface area than a false bottom and is more prone to clogging than a false bottom. Breweries have been using false bottoms like forever.

Before you use a stepped mash it would really be handy to know what type of grain you are working with and why you would want to use a steped mash. I just wrote up an informational post about this topic: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/malt-modification-how-read-malt-analysis-sheet-143252/. If you are going to use a highly modified malt, step mashing may not be the best choice.

I also question your assumptions on the false bottom. True, they are not cheap but I think you would be more likely to get a stuck mash using a braid than a false bottom. The braid has less surface area than a false bottom and is more prone to clogging than a false bottom. Breweries have been using false bottoms like forever.

Thanks for the info...I will have to see if I can get a grain analysis. I am going to use wheat in a dunkles weissbier and read that a rest at ~120*F would help with the production of the banana and clove esters during ferment.

The false bottom looks like it would leave more space to fill (water) so thin mashes may not work. I have been using the cooler and braid and it works great. I wanted to step up to a direct fire MLT without a lot of extra money.

Back