Brewing with Soba (Roasted Buckwheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverbbqBrew

Reaction score
I had Rogue's Morimoto Soba Ale the other day and I was floored by the nuttiness and robust flavor that came through. I am big Sapporo fan, and when I make sushi at home, and I am looking to put together the perfect homebrew to accompany it.

Edwort's House Pale and Biermuncher's SWMBO Slayer are pretty damn great with some Raw Pepperfin Tuna.

Has anyone brewed with Soba (Roasted Buckwheat) before? Could I just drop the noodles into my mash? No, seriously.

Here's the info from the Rogue site:
Rogue Ales

"The delicate flavor of our roasted Soba brings a nutty finish to this light and refreshing ale. A perfect accompaniment to lighter cuisine.

8 Ingredients:

Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15.

Hops: Crystal.

Yeast & Water: Rogue’s Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coas tal Water.
Specs:

12º PLATO

30 IBU

75 AA

14º Lovibond"

I have no idea what to do with soba, but I am having the Rogue Morimoto Black Obi Soba Ale right now and I don't know what it is supposed to taste like, but there is some serious diacetyl flavors coming through. Anyone had this beer and had a similar experience?

I'll post a list of the ingredients if anyone is interested. actually, same as above +
c-60, Carafa special no. 2. hops-horizon, sterling and cascade. and the lovibond is 36. I think this would be a good brew except for the popcorn. Anyone else?

Back