Accidental use of UP goat milk.....and will what I tried work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoosMommy

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I tried to make my very first batch of cheese ever today. After I opened the milk and started to warm it, I noticed on the packaging that it was UP. :goat: but I pressed on any way, hoping against all hope that something would work. As I'm sure you guessed, no real curds formed. Undaunted, I heated the milk to 195 as you would for making ricotta and got a bunch of really small curd. It's currently hanging in a cheese cloth bag to let all the whey drain.

Your best guess, will this result in anything edible or usable?

I have dairy goats and we make all our cheese from unpasteurized milk. Bringing the temperature up to 195F will pasteurize it. Your cheese should turn out to be just fine.

ricotta is a pretty fine curd cheese which gives it the creamy texture.

My bad! By "UP" I meant ultra pasteurized. Not un.

However.......I ended up with some incredibly creamy and sweet ricotta. I added lime zest, cracked black pepper, and olive oil. I'm a happy gal :D

cheese!.jpg

And there I thought you meant yooper goat milk.

Me too! I actually thought you were talking about @Taiin who raises dwarf goat's and makes soap in the UP.

I'm so glad that you got such nice ricotta out of the ultra pasteurized milk. I haven't had any luck at all with store bought milk, and assume that's because they are all ultra pasteurized around here. It sounds great!

I'll fourth the Upper Peninsula comments. I was really confused while this was loading - "Do goats from Escanaba produce crappy milk or something?"

Future reference: it's often referred to as "UHT" - Ultra Heat Treated.

Hey everyone! I tried to make my very first batch of cheese ever today. After I opened the milk and started to warm it, I noticed on the packaging that it was UP. :goat: but I pressed on any way, hoping against all hope that something would work. As I'm sure you guessed, no real curds formed. Undaunted, I heated the milk to 195 as you would for making ricotta and got a bunch of really small curd. It's currently hanging in a cheese cloth bag to let all the whey drain.

Your best guess, will this result in anything edible or usable?

You can't get good curd formation from high temp pasteurized milk. However, I do use the UHT cream with normally pasteurized milk and that makes nice creamy cheese with good curds. I haven't made ricotta yet. If it looks good, it will probably be fine.

Mayflower says it's all due to the goat milk!

Love that goat! Wish I had some of my own. Some day maybe (probably not :( )

I'll fourth the Upper Peninsula comments. I was really confused while this was loading - "Do goats from Escanaba produce crappy milk or something?"

Future reference: it's often referred to as "UHT" - Ultra Heat Treated.

No but I hear bad things about the ones from Gladstone. Lol

Back