Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made up 20 gallons of this over the past month. Its really refreshing, just in time for those 30c days we have been getting as of late. It's also going to be on tap for my wedding next month!

Hi everybody,
what water profile profile do you recommend for Centennial Blonde?
A classic "light colored and hoppy" il good?
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
75 5 10 50 150 0
Hi. I use Bru'n Water's (supporter's version) Yellow Balanced profile:
Ca: 50.0, Mg: 7.0, Na: 5.0, SO4: 75.0, Cl: 60.0; HCO3: 60
but my finished water profile actually looks like:
Ca: 53.3, Mg: 1.0, Na: 8.0, SO4: 45.7, Cl: 50.9, HCO3: N/A

It comes out very tasty and balanced (not too sweet, not too bitter.) Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

How'd you make the concentrate?

Juice half of a large watermelon or a whole small melon and collect half a gallon of watermelon juice. Freeze that half gallon in an empty water jug. After it freezes turn it upside down over a mason jar or container at room temperature and let it collect until you have 32 ounces. Repeat process one more time and collect 16 ounces. That 16 ounces you have is the concentrate. The stuff that is left behind in the water jug is mostly the water, the stuff that you collect is the good stuff which melts first. You can now freeze the concentrate until keg day in which you just thaw it out before and rack your beer on top of it in the keg.

Juice half of a large watermelon or a whole small melon and collect half a gallon of watermelon juice. Freeze that half gallon in an empty water jug. After it freezes turn it upside down over a mason jar or container at room temperature and let it collect until you have 32 ounces. Repeat process one more time and collect 16 ounces. That 16 ounces you have is the concentrate. The stuff that is left behind in the water jug is mostly the water, the stuff that you collect is the good stuff which melts first. You can now freeze the concentrate until keg day in which you just thaw it out before and rack your beer on top of it in the keg.

Great process, will definitely try.

Glad I asked, I would have been trying to reduce the liquid with heat rather than precipitate/stratify the stuff out with cold.

Great process, will definitely try.

Glad I asked, I would have been trying to reduce the liquid with heat rather than precipitate/stratify the stuff out with cold.

For the lime I just zested 4 limes and put them in 2oz of vodka for about a week. I added this vodka to the keg with the watermelon concentrate.

I brewed this up last month and then "lagered" it in the kegerator for 3 weeks. It's so clear you can read a book through it. Flavor is crisp, refreshing, with a slight malt aftertaste. Next time I might dry hop a touch of Centennial for some more floral aroma. Overall it's a fantastic summer beer and I will be making it again.

In case anyone is wondering, I made the original recipe as posted with US-05. I used RO water and added CaCl and CaSO4 to hit to the Bru'n Water Yellow balanced profile. Fermented 7 days then straight into the keg with some gelatin.

I brewed this yesterday and it was only my second all grain brew I've done. OG came out a little high at 1.050. Hoping it still tastes ok.

Love this recipe. Great summer beer. Thinking about dry hopping with Lemondrop hop. Anybody tried this or dry hopped with something else?

I made this recipe for 4th of July with two additions of Mandarina Bavaria. A 1/2 ounce whirlpool addition for 15 minutes @ 160 degree and then 1 ounce dry hopped for 5 days. I was happy with the beer overall. Almost every comment from my neighbors were regarding the wonderful aroma. Looking forward to trying the next batch with some cryo hops using citra. Let us know how the Lemon drop works out!

In case anyone is wondering, I made the original recipe as posted with US-05. I used RO water and added CaCl and CaSO4 to hit to the Bru'n Water Yellow balanced profile. Fermented 7 days then straight into the keg with some gelatin.

Curious, how much CaCl and CaSO4 did you add?

Hey dude, I made this recipe and loved it, but it was a little too citrusy for me. (Still very drinkable! Just had another pint...) But I made another 5-gallon batch with Chinook instead of Centennial and really liked it! (I also dry-hop with any leftover hops...since I buy them in 1-oz increments.)

But I really appreciate you sharing these great recipes! Keep up the good work, bro. A lot of great karma coming your way.

I brewed this for a 2nd time today. Sat down after cleaning up, and realized that I had forgotten the cara-pils dextrine. I had the grain in my basement, and spaced. Odd thing is, my OG still came out to 1.042 in the fermenter. Can someone tell me what flavors the dextrine malt impart?

I brewed this for a 2nd time today. Sat down after cleaning up, and realized that I had forgotten the cara-pils dextrine. I had the grain in my basement, and spaced. Odd thing is, my OG still came out to 1.042 in the fermenter. Can someone tell me what flavors the dextrine malt impart?

Carapils is usually added just to add some body without much or no flavour.
Some people say it's not even necessary.
If you hit the expected OG I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I chose this recipe as my first BIAB AG. I racked to the keg yesterday and I have to say, cloudy and still it was pretty good. I can only imagine it will get better after it carbs and conditions. Thank you for the recipe.

I chose this recipe as my first BIAB AG. I racked to the keg yesterday and I have to say, cloudy and still it was pretty good. I can only imagine it will get better after it carbs and conditions. Thank you for the recipe.
This was my second all grain (BIAB) ever. With cold crashing and gelatin, I was able to make this the clearest beer I've brewed to date!

https://m.imgur.com/a/GW34V

Made this for a 2nd time a few days ago. Changed up the malts in the recipe but kept the hops the same.

Batch Size: 5.5G
OG: 1.042
Expected FG: 1.007
IBU: 25
SRM: 4.3
ABV: 4.56%
Efficiency: 75%

Total cost: $10.43

Revised recipe:
6LB - American 2-Row - $6
1LB - Vienna - $1.62
1LB - Munich 10L - $1.62
0.5LB - Carapils - $0.76
.5oz Centennial/.5oz Cascade - $0.43
US-05 Yeast slurry - $0.00

Honestly can't touch this recipe with a stick for $0.20 a bottle.

I brewed this recipe to have along side of an Oktoberfest and a milk stout for a Halloween party that we have every year.

Here is how I got my costs to where they are. I purchase my sacks of base grain for $50/50LB at my LHBS. I purchase 5LB bags of specialty grains from Morebeer to get free shipping over $50. I also purchase my hops by the LB from Yakima Valley Hops. Both Centennial and Cascade were $5/LB, $7 with shipping from YVH.

Considering dry hopping with 1oz of Cascade due to the added malts, but I'll wait to see how it tastes/smells after fermentation.

Made this for a 2nd time a few days ago. Changed up the malts in the recipe but kept the hops the same.

Batch Size: 5.5G
OG: 1.042
Expected FG: 1.007
IBU: 25
SRM: 4.3
ABV: 4.56%
Efficiency: 75%

Total cost: $10.43

Revised recipe:
6LB - American 2-Row - $6
1LB - Vienna - $1.62
1LB - Munich 10L - $1.62
0.5LB - Carapils - $0.76
.5oz Centennial/.5oz Cascade - $0.43
US-05 Yeast slurry - $0.00

Honestly can't touch this recipe with a stick for $0.20 a bottle.

I brewed this recipe to have along side of an Oktoberfest and a milk stout for a Halloween party that we have every year.

Here is how I got my costs to where they are. I purchase my sacks of base grain for $50/50LB at my LHBS. I purchase 5LB bags of specialty grains from Morebeer to get free shipping over $50. I also purchase my hops by the LB from Yakima Valley Hops. Both Centennial and Cascade were $5/LB, $7 with shipping from YVH.

Considering dry hopping with 1oz of Cascade due to the added malts, but I'll wait to see how it tastes/smells after fermentation.

Interesting. I wast thinking of swapping the crystal for munich. Should give it a little more body. Let us know how it turns out.

Hey guys, I’m going to make this brew, but in a even smaller batch.. I am going to cut the 5.5 in half & make it. I am curious if the hops are the exact same? Like the centennial hops that you add at 60 & 40mins, and cascade at 20 & 5 mins are they the same? I would only need to open one packet of 1/4 oz each if that’s the case. Thanks!!

Hop schedule will stay the same. Amounts will just be scaled down. I usually just put the recipe as is in Brewers Friend and then scale it. It handle everything

I've brewed this one a few times. Gonna re-brew in November or December with Munich, Columbus FWH, Centennial/Cascasde at zero and DH w/Cascade.
This will be my first brew which i will keg.

What flavor profile is everyone getting from this recipe? Been interested in brewing it for a while but I have a feeling this will be similar to bud light or coors? :(

I brewed it one time as the OP posted but the other two times I dry hopped and increased the IBU's some. It was better when dry hopped vs the original. But that's just me.
If you want something different, dry hop and add some Munich. That's my plan for next time.

I brewed it one time as the OP posted but the other two times I dry hopped and increased the IBU's some. It was better when dry hopped vs the original. But that's just me.
If you want something different, dry hop and add some Munich. That's my plan for next time.

NOLA this way too! But yes I plan to brew this recipe for the upcoming holiday as my family aren’t huge beer drinkers. I’ll go with dry hopping and upping the IBUs a bit

What flavor profile is everyone getting from this recipe? Been interested in brewing it for a while but I have a feeling this will be similar to bud light or coors? :(

The base recipe is great. I am not a BMC drinker and love it. My last go at it I tried dry hopping with LemonDrop. Didn’t like it as much. Thought it actually took away from it.

I have brewed this twice now and am getting a toasted bread flavor from it. The first one was my first batch that had some mistakes (I mashed out >200˚, was 10% over my estimated efficiency, bare handed the hop bag after the wort was chilled, fermented at basement temps, kegged in 7 days). I thought it was just too malty from underhopping for the efficiency, but my brew club said it was diacetlyl, though I get no butter or butterscotch flavor.

So I made a second batch as my 6th brew, adjusted water profile, hit my numbers, fermented at 66˚ for 6 days and ramped up to 70˚ for 3 days, no mistakes. It tastes a little lighter, but I am still getting a toasted bread flavor, though not as much. Instead of being crisp, it ends with the toast flavor. Is this what it should taste like? I have not gotten this flavor in any of my other beers.

I made this for the first time recently for my birthday party - had a few beer drinkers coming so made 3 kegs, Centennial Blonde, a 6.8% hop bomb and a 7.1% IIPA. I tagged them as 80s/90s wrestlers, CB was Mr Perfect and he was very much in demand. Unsurprisingly that keg was tapped first.

It’s not my cup of tea really, my wife and I like hop bombs but I had a few glasses of it and it went down very easily.

Fast forward a week and my father in law wants to come down for his third guest brew. We usually split the batch. All right! What delicious hop bomb are we brewing this time? Father in law says you know that keg you had on that finished first?

Ahh damn you CB..

Hoping for feedback here. I brewed this recipe as my second all grain (prior experience was one kit only, not satisfying at all) and since my other kegs blew I jumped the gun and went grains to glass with it in 10 days, carbing being two of those.

Made modest adjustments to my city water with 1/2 tsp of each of gypsum, CaCl and lactic acid and got rid of the chloramines. Mashed a bit high at around 156. Fermented out within a wy1028 starter in a matter of a few days at 68 but it may have got quite a bit colder than that. Brought it upstairs to rest at 70 for a few days.

I'm getting a powerful full bodied biscuit/cereal type taste to the beer. Is that how it should taste? These are not off flavors, just the way it is, and a lot of my friends really like it.

Last edited:
Didn't want to go through all the 134 post of this thread. I did the extract version of this recipe at least a dozen of times and it's always good !! I'm going to try all grain for my first time with this recipe. A neewbie question about mashing. Do I put the vienna, the caramel and the carpils in the mash ? Thanks for the help

Hoping for feedback here. I brewed this recipe as my second all grain (prior experience was one kit only, not satisfying at all) and since my other kegs blew I jumped the gun and went grains to glass with it in 10 days, carbing being two of those.

Made modest adjustments to my city water with 1/2 tsp of each of gypsum, CaCl and lactic acid and got rid of the chloramines. Mashed a bit high at around 156. Fermented out within a wy1028 starter in a matter of a few days at 68 but it may have got quite a bit colder than that. Brought it upstairs to rest at 70 for a few days.

I'm getting a powerful full bodied biscuit/cereal type taste to the beer. Is that how it should taste? These are not off flavors, just the way it is, and a lot of my friends really like it.
I believe your getting that stronger flavor from the higher mash temp.

Back