Yeast - Decisions, decisions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildbill001

Reaction score
After spending way too much time reading posts here, I see an overwhelming number saying to use Nottingham dry ale. So, for my upcoming batch I proceed to the LHBS. Only they tell me Nottingham has been recalled and they don't know when they will get more. They suggest I try Safale US-05. So I got a couple of packets of that as well as Red Star Pasteur Champagne.

My first cider was a combination of fresh juice and store-bought cider with the Red star. It fermented out really dry (1.0 if I remember correctly). I had to backsweeten with about 2lbs of brown-sugar to get it to where my wife would drink it.

For this next batch (1 gal) it looks like I will be using store-bought frozen. I want something that will end up a bit sweet and appley (is that a word?). I'm wanting to try the US-05 but would there be a better choice?

TIA

Wildbill

Us-05 will work fine. But no ale or wine yeast will conk out before all the apple sugars are eaten up. They will all ferment to dry.

You can backsweeten, cold crash, or otherwise stop fermentation before the yeast is done, leaving a semi-dry (sweet) cider.

Latest posts

Back