Black Cat MILD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I might add WHY it's Burning down teh House - because it has a smokey toasty flavor!

Blackcat.jpg

The cat inside the cat is pretty cool. Could you make the black shading above the larger cat more wispy and smoke-like?

Niiiice job overall!!!

But grinder's island brewery is a little hard to read, can you add a bit more of an outline or drop shadow to it to punch it up a bit?

Otherwise I think it's excellent. I like the 2 cats image.

Nice Work Grinder, I like the label a lot! Revvy's got a couple good suggestions there... if it were me, instead of a drop shadow under "Grinder's Island Nanobrewery"... I would just add a rectangle box underneath the text, of a solid color. Doesn't have to be stark-black - although that would work well - it could also be black at 50% Transparency, just to add more contrast.

What program are you using for this?

Either way - I like it ! Cheers! :)

:off: do you get any smoky notes off of that 1/2 oz?

I like it alot, I agree with the suggestions above. Also, I would round out the cats a little bit as well. Maybe vectorize them?

1 oz in my Scottish 80/- was detectable. I've heard of beers with 4oz in them that needed 6-12 months to mellow. The peated is really, really potent stuff.

The Rauchmalt... not so much. It's just minorly smoky. :)

I used 6 oz in a strong scotch ale before :ban:

I like smoky friggin' beers so I loved it, some people couldn't handle it though. It did have some very peaty scotch notes, like Lagavulin(sp) 16.

I'm brewing it again and I think instead of a 10 gallon batch I'm going to make a shilling ale from the second runnings.

Yea that peated malt MUST be potent!! At bottling it tasted great.

As for the name - are you looking at something like this?? The problem I was having was that the Nano name kept coming out too bright and took away from the cats.

This one I just could not come up with a good name, tastes great but no real name . . . . .

OH - Adobe CS3

Number_7.jpg

Cool - CS3 is fun to work with :)

Yeah, I'm envisioning a faded background like the white one you did above... I thought that in black, it might not detract from the two cats imagery.

Nothin' wrong with a nameless bastid child. :D That's how my Donkey Brown Ale / Molasses Brown Porter / ??? Brown ??? is ... (All 3 are the same beer. I can't decide on a name OR a style. It's in between.) This NAMING bizness is SO hard some days!

Cool - CS3 is fun to work with :)

Yeah, I'm envisioning a faded background like the white one you did above... I thought that in black, it might not detract from the two cats imagery.

Nothin' wrong with a nameless bastid child. :D That's how my Donkey Brown Ale / Molasses Brown Porter / ??? Brown ??? is ... (All 3 are the same beer. I can't decide on a name OR a style. It's in between.) This NAMING bizness is SO hard some days!

Ha! I completely agree. It's harder for me to come up with a name than a recipe, about 100X harder. Then once I have a name it's even harder for me to come up with a label concept :(

Yea - I figured it's good but perhaps not one I'll do over again. I have another Brown in a carboy that I think will be better.

So why kill myself on a name I might want to use on something else.

NORMALLY I name a beer for something happening in my life at the time.

Like Flat Squirrel. LOL

Back