Help with Bohemian Pilsner recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alsace

Reaction score
I have been planning on brewing Jamil's Bohemian Pilsner this Sunday, and I have all the ingredients in his recipe. I'm using Weyerman Pilsner malt, 5oz of 3.9AA saaz and I have a 7 liter starter from a vial of WLP 800 Pilsner yeast. Tonight I happened to have the pleasure of trying a Pilsner Urquell and a Jever side by side. I ended up really enjoying the German variety with its dryer, more malt accented finish. It put the idea in my mind to alter Jamil's recipe a little. I was thinking about lowering the mash temp from 154 to 150 to get better attenuation and a more dry finish, and cutting back on the late additions of the Saaz to bring out the malt more. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this would come out well, or whether I should just go with this recipe as is and do the Pils next time. This is actually my first shot at a Pilsner (or at any lager) so I will really appreciate any advice.

To each his own but.....German Pilsners compared to Czech (Urquell) are a little one dimensional to me. Urquell for instance is more bitter than typical German pils while at the same time more malty. I can only trace this to the yeast strain and perhaps the malt. In any event IMO 154F is way too high a mash temp for either beer. I'm a decoction guy but for single infusion I would bring it down to 150/152F. Whether German or Czech a pils should have good attenuation with a dry finish. White Labs WLP800 or WY2001 would be the yeast of choice here.

Has anyone out there tried Jamil's Bo. Pilsner recipe? I've heard people compare it to Pilsner Urquell, but Jamil's % abv is something like 5.3% compared to P.U. at 4.4% It does sound like a good idea to lower that mash temp. though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back