Fermenter Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
If money was no object and you did mainly 10 gal batches would you get the 14 gallon conical fermenter or the bigger one. I've got a guy who wants to get one for me for some work I did for him. Keep in mind I did it for fun and did not expect to get paid.

Thanks

pnh2atl

I would rather have more, smaller fermenters than one bigger one. This way you can have more variety or at least split batches and try two different yeasts or dry hops. But for 10gal batches, a 14gal fermenter would be a great size.

The guy who wants to get this for me wants it to be the biggest and best. I did the work because it was fun and I am a bit uncomfortable with him doing this. So maybe I should have asked for the down side to the big one.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered I think the 14 gallon would be a great size for 10 gallons.
I have the 7 gallon conical for my 5 gallon batches and I am very happy with that.

When I was researching this issue, I was told that 10 gallons in larger size fermentor could affect the beer flavor; i.e., the geometry was important. I really not sure that's true for such small volumes.

But, I 'played safe' and got two of the medium size Blichmanns. Now that I've used them (3 years) I'd do it again. Like you, most of my batches are 10 gallons (although I'll occasionally squeeze 12 gallons into the fermentor - make sure to use anti-foam.) And, if I make 20 gallons, I just use the second fermentor; but, it's more common to have a second beer in the second fermentor...that's REAL common.

Good luck.

I'd have to completely disagree with beltbuckle about having more and smaller fermenters. Cornie kegs cost $20 each make great secondary / conditioning containers after your beer has spend a week in the primary. If you brew a 10 gal batch every week simply rack off the beer in the fermenter to cornie kegs for secondary / conditioning and your fermenter is freed up for something new.

Cornie kegs / secondarys are what you need a large amount of if you want variety not primary fermenters.

A conical is mainly for use as a primary and there no need for beer to sit in the conical for more than a week

I love my 14 gallon conical

Hey I'm in Georgia too! Ask the guy if he needs anymore work done!

HAVE TRUCK - WILL WORK FOR CONICALS!

Latest posts

Back