Grain Substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I'm preparing to brew a Irish Red which calls out for Great Western Crystal Malt 40L. My local supplier doesn't have the Great Western grain but he does have Crystal 40L.

I don't want to substitute blindly but have no idea what I doing so, hence the forum...

Is crystal malt by color the same from one supplier to another as far as substitutions go?

What are the important considerations for substituting a Great Western Crystal 40L malt?

Is a Crystal 40 the same as a Caramel 40?

Thanks....

I have seen crystal and caramel used interchangeably. If they are both a 40 Lovibond grain, the coloration should be the same, but some of the flavors might differ. Not very much, but side by side there would be difference. But, not to scare you, I have used brand-to-brand changes based on color and style, and they came out fine.

Getting malt from a specific maltster is only important in a few occasions. The only one I can think of at the moment is in light German styles, it really is best to use a Continental Pilsner malt like Durst.

Latest posts

Back