58 degrees baby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my garage is basically always 58 degrees now. This is still too warm for lagers, but it seems like it would be good for Kolsch, German ale yeast, and California Common.

I haven't really done much below 60 before, but I have an s-05 IPA and an s-05 Porter that have been going along steady at 58.

What problems do I have to worry about when going below the recommended temp range (besides slower reproduction)?

Also, what yeasts have you had good experience with at this awkward in-between temp?

I've used Wyeast Kolsch in this range and have been fine. If you pitch at 58 the ferment will end up rising into the 60's anyway...Maybe move it back to a warmer place as the ferment begins to slow to make sure you yeasties don't crap out on you too early...

I recently fermented an oatmeal stout with S-04, my thermo strip read 58-60*. It is doing just fine three weeks later!

Back