$57.35

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Pistolero said:
Well I'm a wimp, and I still like my ales a little sweet. I've got to say I kind of like this stuff...the hint of honey, balanced with the hop flavor, tastes pretty good to me.
Well my local supermarket has a buy 2 for £3 offer (usually £1.99 a bottle) on until the end of Feb i noticed today so i might just have to buy a few more and see if i can get a bit more used to the honey tones! ;)

DeRoux's Broux said:
that's hard to buy? it ain't a PA, and i know everyone agrees with that. it is as dark as a hop rod, and that is almost a brown ale. sure darker than a amber....

That's the thing....they don't really characterize "stock ale". They also list Mendocino's Eye of the Hawk as a stock ale. Both are about the same color, and similar all around. Check it out in the guidelines under imperial IPA.

Racer 5 is going down GREAT tonight. I had one a while back and wasn't blown away--but this is really smooth. Shoulda got more of this instead of the Ruination. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good precursor to the Bigfoot 2006 I'm about to break open. :eek:

Sam75 said:
That's the thing....they don't really characterize "stock ale". They also list Mendocino's Eye of the Hawk as a stock ale. Both are about the same color, and similar all around. Check it out in the guidelines under imperial IPA.

you don't think they just threw those in that category because of the ABV and the IBU's, because no other category will hold 'em? i've never heard of them descibed as an imperial IPA.
just a hybrid beer.....and damn i love it!:drunk:

DeRoux's Broux said:
you don't think they just threw those in that category because of the ABV and the IBU's, because no other category will hold 'em? i've never heard of them descibed as an imperial IPA.
just a hybrid beer.....and damn i love it!:drunk:

According to Mosher:

Imperial pale ale is a variation of an American ale style called stock ale--strong, hoppy beers designed to be stored (stocked) some time before drinking. The Wahl Henius American Handy Book (1901) lists these at somewhere between 16 and 19 degrees Plato, or 1066 to 1079 original gravity (OG). Hopping was high at 2 to 3 pounds per barrel, or 1 to 1.5 ounces per gallon, not including the dry hops. This calculates out at about 70 to 100 IBUs--lip-peelingly bitter.

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/style/imperial_pale_ale.html

According to this, the BJCP has is backwards. IIPA is a subcategory of stock ales.

Beer Advocate calls it an "American Strong Ale":

Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above, Some may even be as high as 25% abv. Characteristics will greatly vary, some have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales. Barrel aging is certainly not out of the question.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/78/0

Pretty generic.

Soory B, Im alittle slow to post this

beer.jpg

Latest posts

Back