Project "WOODY 3.0XPR" worlds first wooden, adjustable, 3 roller grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i will apply epoxy to the rollers and than i roll them in a sand so i have a "sand paper" texture. sand will stick to the epoxy on the rollers. after brewing and fermenting prosess i dough that i have any sand in beer when i rack it to the bottles.
if i do only epoxy on rollers, they not going to pull and crush grain!
that hopper that i made i used ONLY a table saw:rockin:,
angle on the bottom is a
45* because i would needed to make another jig for a bigger angle, iam low on scrap so i didint do it.

The size your rollers are there shouldn't be a problem with pulling in the grain. The bigger the diameter, the less need for knurling.

Why not cover the wood rollers with something like this:

DDS225.jpg

Why not cover the wood rollers with something like this:

DDS225.jpg

i was thinking about it, if i glue a strips of sand paper on top of the rollers its gona be a pain in my @ss to remove it when it wears out.

Bohdan,

Don't overthink your design. Try the bare wood, see if the grain is drawn in, see if the surface is damaged by the grain. If it is, then you can fix those problems. I think that red oak endgrain is pretty dang hard.

I think your bigger issues will be concentric rollers and evenness over the length of your rollerrs. The way you've described the rollers being 1/16" off center will give you a challenge to set an even gap. Do you have a woodworking friend with a lathe that could true the rolls for you?

Bohdan,

Don't overthink your design. Try the bare wood, see if the grain is drawn in, see if the surface is damaged by the grain. If it is, then you can fix those problems. I think that red oak endgrain is pretty dang hard.

I think your bigger issues will be concentric rollers and evenness over the length of your rollerrs. The way you've described the rollers being 1/16" off center will give you a challenge to set an even gap. Do you have a woodworking friend with a lathe that could true the rolls for you?

yes i think that iam overthinking it now!
no, i dont have any friends with a wood lathe:(
iam almoust done with a hopper, next i need to make a handle so i can crank it, than i look for a motor.

yea, i was thinking about it. thats what i did to my mash paddle that i made.
hitting them with torch will make them a little harder! natural sugars will crystalise in a wood and reinforse cell walls.

When this thing gets up and running you gotta take a video and post it, i wanna see this bad boy in action!!!! Very cool!

When this thing gets up and running you gotta take a video and post it, i wanna see this bad boy in action!!!! Very cool!

ohhh i will, i cant wait mysellf!:)
i am almoust done with hopper, after i make a handle so i can crank it, i buy a bag of grain and try it out.:rockin:
crap, i just realised it i need a bigger MLT so i can brew beer with bigger grain bill. wright now i got only 5g iglo round cooler.:mug:

I can weld, and do some plumbing and electrical work, but I just wish I could borrow about .0001% of OP's woodworking skills. My technique is such that I can take a perfectly good piece of wood and turn it into nice matchsticks.

I can weld, and do some plumbing and electrical work, but I just wish I could borrow about .0001% of OP's woodworking skills. My technique is such that I can take a perfectly good piece of wood and turn it into nice matchsticks.

thanks!!!! iam a "jack of all trades, master of carpentry"! most of the people see a pile of wood on the saw horses, i see a finished room or a product. if it can be made from wood, i can make that with right tools.
this build i used a table saw to make all my cuts and a battery drill for driling all the holes. i dont do constraction anymore so my tool selection is very limited.
i made my mash paddle with NO glue or nails, skrews.:rockin:

maspadle.JPG

So one question, did you leave the rollers with the flat surfaces, or was that prep for lathing. I would think the more flat surfaces the better the crush. Do you know what your roller gap is, if its round? Great idea.

I just caught this thread, can I only say friggin awesome.
I was also thinking of using flame and heat to tighten up and harden the wood.
Please let us know how it turns out. (pun intended but lame).

sorry guys, i was bussy with building my brew rig.
i crushed 15lb of grains last week, those oak rollers holding with with no problem.
after the crush i inspected rollers and there is NO DAMAGE to them.
it takes alot of power to spin them because of the size and double drive.
i made a handdle to turn this mill have to make a new one longer because i need more torgue.
my first gap is .048, second gap is .035 i have a nice consistant crush.
my crush looks better than a store crush, barley hulls are a hole and undamaged, store mill beats them up a little bit.

ImaBrewinfool
i left rollers way they were, they pull grain very nice. i left my rollers untreated.

I just caught this thread, can I only say friggin awesome.
I was also thinking of using flame and heat to tighten up and harden the wood.
Please let us know how it turns out. (pun intended but lame).

heat can be used on oak to "seal" wood grain because it carmelises sugars in a grain.

sorry guys, i was bussy with building my brew rig.
i crushed 15lb of grains last week, those oak rollers holding with with no problem.
after the crush i inspected rollers and there is NO DAMAGE to them.
it takes alot of power to spin them because of the size and double drive.
i made a handdle to turn this mill have to make a new one longer because i need more torgue.
my first gap is .048, second gap is .035 i have a nice consistant crush.
my crush looks better than a store crush, barley hulls are a hole and undamaged, store mill beats them up a little bit.

ImaBrewinfool
i left rollers way they were, they pull grain very nice. i left my rollers untreated.

How about some pictures or maybe a video? I would like to see this bugger in action. If you are stoked about the crush then give us something we can see and marvel with you. I am happy for you to know that it works and can give you a great crush. Come on give us some pics.

So I know I'm reviving a VERY old thread, but, last post was almost three years ago... how'd it hold up bohdan?

hi guys, yes its been a while. Rollers are holding up fine, just a regular wear and tear on them nothing major.

Back