Boulevard/Upright Yeast/brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankstoneline

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me out, I just knocked through some bottles this weekend and intend to culture the dreggs for a couple saisons, my curiosity is whether anyone can nail down what I've got:

2 bottles of upright, 1 Six and 1 Four, I've heard tell that these are fermented with Wyeast's french saison, though I've heard rumors of brett as well, anyone know?

also:
a bottle of boulevard's saison-brett: Any conformation on the yeast strain/brett in this one?

my thoughts are to culture them all together and pitch to a table beer i'm planning and see what happens, though I might consider keeping them separate, just trying to nail down what critters I have running around.

Upright was using just 3711, but more recently I believe they switched to another strain... As far as I know their standard beers do not have any other yeast intentionally (a bottle of 4 I had out there last summer certainly had something going on though).

I believe Boulevard uses Brett B, although which version I'm not sure.

The 3711 is a monster, it won't leave much for the Brett (which is fine if you aren't looking for aggressive funk).

Good luck!

Initially I'm not looking for too much funk, just a bit of earthy background. I figure if I'm not satisfied with the funk I can add a bit of sugar and a brett b culture from wyeast or something after primary when I re-brew.
Any idea on the yeast strain for boulevard?
(also I really enjoy your blog, it's been a great resource/source of encouragement in recent endeavors)

hey David if you get that cultured up you should separate a bit for me when i roll through Thursday night. Also i have the washed 3711 for ya.

Upright's Four and Six do not have brett added. The Four has a portioned sour mashed, however.

While their regular line up does not use brett, they occasionally release barrel aged/brett/lacto/fruit versions, but that beer will be released under a different name.

Upright's Four and Six do not have brett added. The Four has a portioned sour mashed, however.

While their regular line up does not use brett, they occasionally release barrel aged/brett/lacto/fruit versions, but that beer will be released under a different name.

The sour mash is what I was tasting then. that makes more sense.

Josh, I'm going to step it up tonight, when I do I'll wash half and save some for ya.

The sour mash is what I was tasting then. that makes more sense.

Josh, I'm going to step it up tonight, when I do I'll wash half and save some for ya.

Most (if not all) Upright beers go through an open top primary fermentation, so it's possible some wild can make it in. AFAIK, they are still using 3711 on their bottled beers and they let if ferment all the way out before bottling. So, if there is anything else in there, it doesn't have a lot to work with.

Cheers!
Kevin

Latest posts

Back