Hallertau vs. Hallertauer hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojotele

Reaction score
I've seen Hallertau hops in several recipes now. There are several hops with that word in them, for instance Hallertau Hersbrucker, but I'm talking about just "Hallertau." For instance, I was trying to think up a recipe for a Troegenator clone which, according to Troeg's website, uses Hallertau and Saaz.

But my LHBS and several other internet providers sell "Hallertauer" hops. Are these the same as Hallertau?

Yes, Same thing... But note there are variants to Hallertau(er) such as Hersbrucker, Mittelfrueh, and New Zealand. But, people generally refer to the variant directly if that is what they used.

Yes, no, maybe. Hallertau is a region in Germany, Hallertauer hops originated there. There are 5-6 types of Hallertauer hops on the market. Unless they are labeled New Zealand Hallertauer, they'll work. NZ Hallertauer is derived from Hallertau Hallertauer, but is as similar as Cascade is to Fuggles (bet you didn't know Cascade is a Fuggle derivative).

Whew. I have a lot to learn about ingredients. It sounds like the answer is "probably," but I should really ask the people at my LHBS just what kind of Hallertauer hops they are selling.

Thanks so much. As always, you guys are awesome.

Back