Yeast Starter Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
I've always used dry yeast and either rehydrated the yeast/pitched or if I use Muntons Premium you can just pitch the yeast. If I want to attempt liquid yeast I was wondering if there is a good step by step guide on how to use a yeast starter...? I have a flask, stopper, and 3 piece airlock so I think I am good on the equipment besides DME. But looking for a good guide on the steps I should take before pitching when I attempt to use liquid yeast.

Check out youtube. There are a ton of vids. Ditch the stopper and airlock and grab some foil and a spray bottle filled with star san. Boil 100 g dme with 900 ml water in the flask for 15, then chill to room temp immediately in a cold bath in the sink, pitch, cover with sanitized foil. Swirl it around good hourly for up to 40 hrs. Careful not to foam over. Then chill and pour off clear liquid.

Youtube is your friend. Search there or search HBT....there are tons of resources out there.

Use mrmalty.com to determine the size of your starter. Basically, a starter is a small, very simple batch of beer used only to grow yeast. You need to use a 1/10 ratio of light dme/water. Boil it for 10 minutes, chill it, pitch your yeast. Stir plates are nice but not necessary...just swirl the flask every time you walk by.

You mentioned having a stopper and airlock....don't use em. You actually want oxygen to enter the flask to aid yeast growth. Just use a piece of sanitized foil to cover the opening.

I let my starters ferment for 1.5-2 days then I pop it into the fridge for approx 12 hours before use. Chilling the sample allows you to decant the "beer" and just pitch the yeast.

Go watch 100 videos (or just enough to feel confident) and then get to it!

Latest posts

Back