Red Star Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thwizzit

Reaction score
I was just at Costco today and I saw a 2 pound package of Red Star Yeast for $3 but it just said Active Dry Yeast on the label. Can it be used for brewing?
1157553017967.jpg

Used for brewing what?

prison hooch.. yes
kavass.. yes
There are some mead recipes that use bread yeast with supposedly good results

Cool, thanks. I recognized the Red Star brand from their Champagne yeast so I wasn't sure if this was the same as brewer's yeast

Thwizzit said:
Cool, thanks. I recognized the Red Star brand from their Champagne yeast so I wasn't sure if this was the same as brewer's yeast
I wouldn't bet a batch of beer on bakers yeast doing well with beer. You will get better results if you stick with brewers yeast.

(slightly OT)
I have seen packages of yeast that big at my LHBS. Anyone ever get one?

Yes but it also involved 87,750 gallons of apple juice, 35100 lbs of sugar and a swimming pool. Starting OG 1.071. It needs 309.5 lbs of yeast unless you want to make a really big starter.

(if I did the math right thats Edwort's Apfelwein Recipe for a 30x60 foot pool depth of 3-10 feet)

Absolute, must-have sign:

"Shave and Shower before entering.

Absolutely no farting or urinating in my brew pool!"

Back