Sanity Check on Kal clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will probably have more issues but I had two questions right now. In his wiring plans the neutral comes from the main power in to the neutral bus as seen below. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443473557.637913.jpg
Is there any issue in putting multiple neutral wires in that receptacle as opposed from pulling off the neutral bus? It seems to be fair game when lights or switches are wired I series.

Secondly there have been a number of posts about proper crimping. I have a ratcheting crimped but it doesn't have a size for 6 gauge. I have crimped them the best I can with pliers, but are there any suggestions for the large garage wires?

I would make sure you get a decent crimper to work with that size gauge. You don't want a bad crimp to ruin all your hard work.

When building a Kal clone space is limited. There are a lot more neutral wires than just 1 or 2.

regarding the multiple neutrals, there are only so many you can physically fit on the plug. many of them have published limits, check the manufacturer literature. i believe most can only take one, hence the reason to go to a bus.

My thinking on the neutrals is that in the instructions he states "As mentioned in the previous bullet, if the component you wish to connect to a bus is close to another component that is already connected to the same bus through an existing wire, you may simply connect the two components together to save on wiring". So the way my panel is configured it was easier to pick up the neutral for the pumps and a switch right at the neutral from the power in. I have a neutral coming from the power in going to the neutral bus, one to each of the two pumps, and one to a switch which subsequently I wire I serial the neutral to various other switches.

There should be no problem, i jumper all of my Neutral coil wires from all 3 contactor relays back to the main one which then goes to the bus. Electrically there is no difference.

Also buy a new crimper. Your playing with 40+ Amps, dont cheap out on your connections when there will be dozens of them that can fail and (potentially) kill you.

from a potential standpoint, it doesn't make any difference but be careful with the connections. just because multiple conductors can be tied together at a given point doesn't mean it is a proper connection. most terminals, wire nuts, etc. have a published listing of haw many types, sizes, etc. conductors it is rated for. using components outside of what they were designed for may create a hazardous condition.

i'm not saying anyone here has done that, just something to keep in mind.

Back