Ball lock keg post differences???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyennie

Reaction score
Are the differences between the gas post and the liquid post???I know the dip tubes are different but.... And are there differences in the types of ball lock quick disconnects????

Yes. The "gas" posts have tiny notches on the bottom, and a grey disconnect fitting fits them. The black QD will not fit the gas post. Well, it'll go on but it won't come off. :drunk:

Wish I would have known that yesterday... It seemed really odd that the disconnect was THAT difficult to remove. Oh well, another trip the my LHBS. I'm doing my part to help the economy one beer at a time! Thanks.

As Yooper said:

keg-posts-1.jpg

In addition to the posts being slightly different from "in" to "out", notice in PJ's picture that they are different by brand also.

One of the things you don't want to do is clean a whole bunch of kegs at once, and just put the parts in a bowl. You want each keg to have its own parts, in general, because a cornelius keg has different posts/poppits from a Firestone keg. They might look the same, but they aren't!

It seems expedient to tear them down and clean/sanitize the parts together, but keep them separate! Trust me, as I am the voice of experience in this one. I always learn everything the hard way. :drunk:

Wish I would have known that yesterday... It seemed really odd that the disconnect was THAT difficult to remove. Oh well, another trip the my LHBS. I'm doing my part to help the economy one beer at a time! Thanks.

Welcome to the club.

In addition to the posts being slightly different from "in" to "out", notice in PJ's picture that they are different by brand also.

One of the things you don't want to do is clean a whole bunch of kegs at once, and just put the parts in a bowl. You want each keg to have its own parts, in general, because a cornelius keg has different posts/poppits from a Firestone keg. They might look the same, but they aren't!

It seems expedient to tear them down and clean/sanitize the parts together, but keep them separate! Trust me, as I am the voice of experience in this one. I always learn everything the hard way. :drunk:

I learned a similar lesson this year :mad:

Hi all,

I don't want to hijack the op's thread, but I wanted to ask/make an additional question/point. I have owned and dealt with A LOT of kegs but just discovered that not all ball locks are interchangeable.

The vast majority look like the ones on the far left in the picture in the earlier post. I picked up a keg with fittings like the one in the middle and my QDs don't seem to fit.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? It is possible that I just had a stuck poppet (it's late and I didn't dig too deep into the problem), but I don't think so.

Thanks!

Adam

Hi all,

I don't want to hijack the op's thread, but I wanted to ask/make an additional question/point. I have owned and dealt with A LOT of kegs but just discovered that not all ball locks are interchangeable.

The vast majority look like the ones on the far left in the picture in the earlier post. I picked up a keg with fittings like the one in the middle and my QDs don't seem to fit.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? It is possible that I just had a stuck poppet (it's late and I didn't dig too deep into the problem), but I don't think so.

Thanks!

Adam

I have all 3 kinds and do not have any issues with any of them. Just make sure the o rings are in good shape and lubed.

Beerman0001,

Thanks for you reply. I am actually pretty sure I had a poppet stuck or mixed up from another fitting. I disassembled the keg and tried the fittings without poppets and they worked fine.

Adam

Back