New house means new equipment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well for a 5 gallon batch this system appears to be able to take just about anything you could throw at it. Only time you would have to change the process would be for a 10g.

I have gone back and forth from 3v to BIAB and now back from 3v to this setup. They all make great beer. I just didn't want to have that big of a setup at this time. Big reason why I went with the Nano Brewer. So I can expand pretty easily should the 3v bug get me again.

Well for a 5 gallon batch this system appears to be able to take just about anything you could throw at it. Only time you would have to change the process would be for a 10g.

I have gone back and forth from 3v to BIAB and now back from 3v to this setup. They all make great beer. I just didn't want to have that big of a setup at this time. Big reason why I went with the Nano Brewer. So I can expand pretty easily should the 3v bug get me again.
Understandable. I think the 20 gallon BIAB is plenty for my needs. I only do 5's now and have only ever done a 10 gallon batch 3 times. I brew ~70 gallons a year and rarely have a dry spell.

It sure appear to be capable for any 5g batch. My goal is to upgrade to 10g and brew less often so it would bum me out of I had a recipe that wouldn't work as 10g.

How does the expansion work? I don't recall seeing extra controls for another heating element or pump. Do you have to swap the plugs or is there room for more?

I've got a new question on this system. Is the pulley arm adjustable? I've read it's 8ft tall and my garage door is 7.5 feet from the floor. My plan was to move the system to the edge of the garage so steam would vent but I will still be covered.

I'm looking at going to the same system. I brew alone and am worried about being able to lift the basket down by myself. Do you have any trouble lowering the basket after the mash?

I also brew alone. It's kinda awkward lowering it but yes it can be done. The pulley system is really the only thing I would change on the system. Seeing the ones he builds for his larger systems I would ask to upgrade to an electric hoist and track mounted version. Would just make it that much easier.

I also brew alone. It's kinda awkward lowering it but yes it can be done. The pulley system is really the only thing I would change on the system. Seeing the ones he builds for his larger systems I would ask to upgrade to an electric hoist and track mounted version. Would just make it that much easier.

I had no idea the bigger systems had the track system. I might ask him about that. I also noted in his video he has a sparge arm option but I think it only works with the large dual system. The large dual system appears to have baskets with solid sides.

What process do you have for the basket? I'm guessing the grains never really stop dripping so I'm trying to guess how I would avoid a mess. Since it's electric and not propane, maybe just pull the trash bin right near the kettle and pull the basket down over to the trash bin.

Also, have you checked your efficiency numbers at all? I was thinking of doing a pseudo sparge and holding some water back and pouring it over the grains after mash. That should give better numbers but I have no idea what to expect.

I hoist the basket up and let drain as much as possible. Last brew I withheld a couple gallons of water to do a sparge. Did help my numbers a lot. I actually lost the work sheets so I don't know how much but it was much better.

I then hold the basket with one hand and the rope with the other. Slowly release the rope as I guide the basket past the kettle to a pan on the floor. Really not hard just really awkward.

I hoist the basket up and let drain as much as possible. Last brew I withheld a couple gallons of water to do a sparge. Did help my numbers a lot. I actually lost the work sheets so I don't know how much but it was much better.

I then hold the basket with one hand and the rope with the other. Slowly release the rope as I guide the basket past the kettle to a pan on the floor. Really not hard just really awkward.

Thanks for the info. I will have to find something to hold the basket once I finally make this purchase. I can't imagine having anything in the house that it will fit into but I won't know until I get it here.

FYI, Tim let me know they changed things a bit in 2016. The basket now has solid sides and a different method for the re-circulation. I think it will be the same as the new dual professional system that has a new video.

Congrats, very nice setup. What was your time frame from date of order to delivery? I am anxious to get mine.

Back