Is it possible to mash to much grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J311gonzo

Reaction score
I brew 5 gallon batches, and I've been looking into brewing strong ales... Without using belgium sugars... Is it possible to have to much grain in your mash? As in if I have X amount of grain and water in my tun, drain of and pull enough wort to boil... Without spargeing. I know I've seen posts about this but I can't seem to find them now. Please help lead me in the right direction!!!

You can't really have too much grain in your mash. The amount of sugar you pull off of the grains will be very high in the begining and will gradually get less as you add more water.

I'm not sure of your system setup, but my last batch I used 23lbs of grains in a 15.5 gal converted keg mash tun. I put in 5 gal of water for the mash, then sparged with two gallons to get my first 5.5 gallons. Then I put in another 6 gallons of water and drained into a seperate boil kettle. The first running gave me a very high OG (around 1.010) and the second running gave me a mediocre OG at 1.040.

Back