igloo beverage cooler. heat capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke

Reaction score
I see that many brewers use teh igloo beverage coolers as mashtun. Im thinking about getting a 10gallion(yellow and red) for myself. but efter reading on the sellers page on ebay that it can have max. 60 degrees celsius fluids inside. mashing goes up to 70-80 degrees in the end. Is this a problem? safe to use?

cheers

Hi ... Finland!! Welcome! Er, I have 2 of those yellow 10 gallon igloo's with red tops and I routinely pour in almost boiling water 204F to strike my grain bed so it lands at 168F... and I'll say this, Yooper told me it was ok :) ... seriously though the thread has been on here before and it is safe to mash in them. I only heard one person say that putting boiling water in the igloo caused the inner and outer parts to delaminate. So stay below boiling, but 170-180 no worries.

Here is the thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/can-i-put-boiling-h2o-igloo-cooler-153640/

Thanks for your answer dude;) even though I´m lazy I did try to do a forum search but didn´t find that thread, so thanks!
I might as well Order that Igloo from ze germanz then.
cheers

Back