Priming Sugar Calculator Error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTownBrewer

Reaction score
So I just bottled my Smoked Rye two weeks ago...3 gallons of the regular version & 2 gallons that sat on dried Thai peppers. My brother opened one up yesterday & said it was completely flat...not even a hint of carbonation after sitting at around 75 F for two weeks.

Today, I realized there was a problem with the TastyBrew calculator I used on my iPhone. Usually, when you enter the info to get the sugar total needed, the average volumes of CO2 automatically pops up in the calculation. When accessing it from my phone, it didn't. I needed to view the full version of the page for the calculator to work properly.

Long story short, it needed 2.35 volumes CO2 for my 3 gallon batch...I used 1.3 based on the error in the calculator. Will this batch ever carb up or anyone have any suggestions on what to do if it doesn't carb after another couple weeks?

Well your only options (that I know of) now are:
1. Drink it flat.
2. Open each bottle, add the difference in sugar or carb tabs, then recap.

Alright...it's been almost 6 weeks since bottling & still no difference in carbonation. I bought a pack of Coopers carb tabs from More Beer.

Should I just follow the directions on the package & add 1 per 12 oz...2 per 22 oz? I know you said to split the difference, but wouldn't the minimal CO2 created from the original priming sugar be negated by opening the bottles?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back