Gravity and Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
Made an IPA and my OG was 1.069 and today (7 days later) it is 1.023; and it still has some work to do... I dropped trub (i'm in a conical) and it was what i would call "slimy" yeast (I used WLP001) and when i looked in the bunghole for the airlock the krausen remnants looked very slimy on the walls. The rubber stopper had what appeard to be "condensation" on it and I have never seen that before. When I checked gravity today the sample was thick with yeasties.

Any input into why I noticed these "weird" things? Also since it was thick with yeasties when i took the 1.023 today, does the suspended yeast effect the reading at all?

It's been at 70f since pitching.

Also as a side note, after kegging into cornies what's the best temperature to let them sit and condition in? is cold (kegerator) any better than room temp if it's just sitting and getting happy?

yes yeast does weird things as do we humans that is why we get along so well. dont worry about your gravity, you statred off high and if you end up at 1.020 you will have a highly qualified quaffer, chill and let it sit dont be a petaphile you pervert, it greeeeeen

yes yeast does weird things as do we humans that is why we get along so well. dont worry about your gravity, you statred off high and if you end up at 1.020 you will have a highly qualified quaffer, chill and let it sit dont be a petaphile you pervert, it greeeeeen

While that's good advice it's not really what I was asking; I know it's far from done (see above, only been 7 days and it's still got work to do.....)

My basic questions are... can a large amount of suspended yeast effect gravity readings, what causes a Krausen to look slimy since it's never been slimy in the past and why would an airlock stopper have what appears to be condensation on it when it was removed when dropping trub?

all I am saying is give it some time. I have had beers that have looked "slimy" and thought gravity was affected by that but after two weeks the gravity was still 1.020. if I did not answer your question, which I don't think I did, just relax and experiment and keep brewing RDWHAHB

In theory as long as the hydrometer is free floating then suspended particle will not effect the gravity reading.
To increase the gravity of a "Liquid" additions need to be diluted.
A quick spin of the hydrometer can help it to free float and also release any CO2 bubbles. I've never had a krausen that I'd call slimy

Back