Yeast Starter in an Erlmeyer Flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I used to brew a bunch and am getting back into it after about 10 years off. I went to make a starter for a batch I'm about to brew. I got out of work late and had a friend that was calling trying to get me to go out and see a show.

So I figure I boil some water in the flask add the DME, cool the wort down, pitch the yeast in and head out. Didn't work out as planned.

The recipe for a starter from the local place I bought the kit from says 6 cups of water to 1/2 cup DME. The flask could not hold that much, so I was paring it down to 4 cups. I brought the water to a boil in the flask. Removed it from the heat to add the DME. As the measuring cup got near the mouth of the Flask the steam started to create a crust on the DME. As I tried to pour some into the flask some spilled over the outside of the flask. What little that made it inside was enough to cause an instant boil over, that ejected 1/2 the water in the flask.

So I abandoned it, went out and have to try again tomorrow. How do I go about creating a starter in the flask instead of a mini Mt Vesuvius? How much DME and water to add to get a starting SG of 1.040? How long might I have to wait to be able till the starter will be ready to pitch?
Thanks

I had the same problem when I made my first starter once the water hits boil in the flask it wont stop. Check the wiki for the amount of dme and water. Scale it down to fit in your flask if needed and boil it in a pot then add it to your flask. This is what I do anyway. FWIW

4 cups water to 1/3 cup of DME should put you pretty close to 1.040.
I add the DME to warm water in a pot and stir well, then transfer it to the flash when the DME has dissolved.

I oxygenate my starters, and keep on a stir plate. They are ready within 18 hours. If you don't have an oxygen system or stir plate, you probably want to give it two - three days.

I usually add the whole starter. Others chill the starter to force the yeast into suspension, pour off the excess water, and just use the suspended yeast. If you do this, it will take a bit longer.

-a.

I usually sanitize the flask separatly (on a gas burner with just boiling water), and bring the DME to a boil in a separate pot. Then just transfer to the flask and chill.

Avoiding messes while boiling DME in a flask is a pain.

-D

Thanks Guys
Got the starter going this morning. I had to heat the wort it up in a separate pot and then transfer to the flask which I then boiled directly on an electric stove. I don't remember having to do this in the past. As i recall the reason i thought the flask was so cool was to be able to do it all in one container. I like to do one pot cooking, but still use every utensil in the kitchen doing it. I try to find ways of minimizing my equipment used as I have a small kitchen and hate have to clean so many pots and utensils, etc... Thats why I keg my beer.

I've had good luck adding the DME to a dry flask, then adding the water. As you heat the water, swirl the flask and the DME will dissolve. Bring to a boil, watching for boilovers. I boil for 10 minutes, cover with sanitized aluminum foil, then cool the flask in a cold water/ice bath. Oxygenate and pitch. I sprung for a 2 l flask. Makes everything real easy.

I've never done it this way but...the flask I bought from my LHBS store came with instructions that said to mix the DME in warm water to dissolve it, add it to water in the flask and then bring it to a boil in the microwave. :confused:
I always just boil it all in a seperate pot and then add it to a sterilized flask.

Back