American Hybrid Simcoe Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Reason for this one is I have about 6 ounces of Simcoe left from another Batch of IIPA. So, here's what I came up with...

11 Gallon AG Batch
O.G.-1.053
IBU-55

16 lbs American 2 row
4 lbs Marris Otter
1.50 lbs Victory
1 oz Simcoe 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe 40 minutes
1 oz simcoe 20 minutes
2 oz simcoe 2 minutes

White Labs WLP060 for Yeast.

Ferment at 66 for a week, then 69 for a week. What do you think?

I Love that Fruity aroma of Simcoe, but I am NOT a Hop head. So I am hoping that this recipe isn't over the top as far as Bitterness, but with 2 ounces of Aroma at the end, I'll get that Simcoe Wallop.

That's a high bitterness for the ABV. You might consider cutting the 40 minute add in half or maybe even eliminating it.

I would eliminate the 40 minute altogether and maybe add that same amount or a little more in the flavor and aroma additions @ 20, 15, etc.

I think Simcoe's flavor profile is excellent and quite tasty.

I would go the other way - up the grain bill just a bit to get to ~1.060, but keep the hops the same. I've done a very similar all Simcoe IPA, using a lot more hops than that, and its definitely not too bitter for me. I am definitely a hop-head, but no one who has tasted it, including the non-hop-heads, have complained about bitterness. Instead, they all love the massive aroma (which you'll get from that 2 oz. flame-out addition) . Even if you keep the grain bill the same, I think you're probably OK. Simcoe is a beautiful hop strain.

Thanks for all the replies. Seeing as I only have 16 lbs of American 2 row on hand, I really don't want to go throwing in more Marris Otter to up the OG. I want to try and keep as much Marris Otter out of the recipe as I can. So, looks like the the 40 minute Hop addition is out. Thanks for all the replies and I'll let everyone know how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back