Hydrometer w/ pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humble17

Reaction score
No idea what I'm looking at! From wort.

image-2944811524.jpg

take the reading where the liquid touches the hydrometer at the surface.

Okay, so the hydrometer is floating in your wort. Your reading is the number right at the surface of the liquid. It should be 1.0xx, preferably somewhere above 1.060 :D

Rephrased, it's the lowest-down number you can read before the numbers submerge into the wort.

Ok. So I read the highest number on the HM? There are 3 separate readings on mine, percent sugar, potential alcohol by volume and specific gravity.

Thanks for your help!

That is your Starting or Original Gravity. Write it down. Your reading after fementation will be your Final or Terminal gravity. These numbers will allow you to determine your alcohol content.

Write that down. Then let the yeast do it's thing for a few weeks. When you think it is time to bottle, take another hydro reading. Wait a few days, and take a third reading. If the second and the third hydro reading are the same, it is time to bottle.

At that point, subtract the final gravity from the original gravity, and then multiply the result by 131. That is your alcohol by volume.

Bear in mind that your hydrometer is accurate if the wort is at the temperature the hydro was calibrated to- in most cases, 60 degrees F. If your wort is not at that temperature, you need to use the conversion chart that probably came with your hydrometer (or one online if you cannot find that chart) to get your accurate OG.

HerbieHowells said:
Write that down. Then let the yeast do it's thing for a few weeks. When you think it is time to bottle, take another hydro reading. Wait a few days, and take a third reading. If the second and the third hydro reading are the same, it is time to bottle.

At that point, subtract the final gravity from the original gravity, and then multiply the result by 131. That is your alcohol by volume.

Bear in mind that your hydrometer is accurate if the wort is at the temperature the hydro was calibrated to- in most cases, 60 degrees F. If your wort is not at that temperature, you need to use the conversion chart that probably came with your hydrometer (or one online if you cannot find that chart) to get your accurate OG.

You say to let it ferment a couple of weeks? My instructions say 7 days.

You can throw those instructions away at this point. Minimum 2 weeks. Trust us.

Perfect. So two weeks in the fermenter then bottle and store for another month or so?

You got it. Even longer for some Ales. I ferment for a month when my pipeline is full.

Truth be told, if you were to do a reading on day 5 and another reading on day 7, there is a descent chance that you would find fermentation is over, and that those readings were identical. So the author of the instructions didn't pull 7 days out of his ass. But leaving the beer in the bucket for an extra week or more will let the yeast settle, and clean up some potentially nasty flavors. So it is a good idea to let it sit, even if fermentation is technically done.

Back