Hops arrived with growth.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
My chinook rhizomes finally arrived from northwest hops today, after 2 weeks in the mail. They appear to already have vines growing out of them, 6 inches long or so. This is my first time ever dealing with hops in any shape or form. I threw them right in the fridge, should i plant them right away, or cut the vines off them and plant just the rhizomes, when planting should i bury the growth or leave it above ground? Thanks in advance for the help.

I'd plant with the shoots above ground in a pot and place in a shady spot for a few days. direct sunlight could kill the new shoots.

I had a Centennial rhizome with the same. It was still white so I planted about 1"-2" deep and it came up green in under a week. You got a solid shoot it sounds like...

Not having seen your rhizomes, I wouldn't want to make any suggestions but many times when I plant rhizomes that have some growth on them, that new growth tends to die off and new shoots soon take over. Sometimes the little shoots make it, so I'd just get them into some soil and let the growth begin.

Usually at about a foot or more the vines begin to show some slight twisting in their growth. This is a good indication that they're ready to start climbing. Good luck.

you got good ones.

The ones that had shoots in mine, I just plants and within a week, I got hops growing (4 of the 8)

The ones that didn't have shoots, I am still waiting (one of the 4 did have a shoot come up yesterday)

Sweet I'm still anxiously waiting for them to break ground. only been 2 days but like everything with this hobby, patience is a virtue. :)

Latest posts

Back