Cold crashing and clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
First cyser's pretty much fermented to where I'd like it to be, sweetwise.

I have it sitting in bottles in the fridge with some saran wrap & rubber bands to explode-proof it. Does cold crashing speed up or slow down clarification? It can afford to get dryer, if taking it back out would speed it up.

Thanks!

Cold crashing usually speeds up clarification, but it would depend on what it's clarifying. It will drop yeast and some other things to the bottom of the bottle, but it there is pectin haze (from boiling the juice) it wont do anything.

The main point of cold crashing is to put the yeast in a dormant state, to preserve sweetness or stop over carbonation. As long as you can leave your bottles in the fridge, you could cap them and just drink when ready, pouring into a glass to leave the sediment at the bottom.

Fab, thanks Doc.

The cider I used was heat pasteurized, so I think I'm never gonna see it clear with just cold. Oh well, it's still delicious!

Latest posts

Back