How does this Robust Smoked porter look??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnthompson

Reaction score
4.5 lbs pale malt
4 lbs marris otter
3 lbs briess smoked malt
1 lbs munich light
1 lbs munich dark
.75 lbs chocolate malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 80L
0.5 lbs Crystal 40L

1 oz Kent Goldings (60 min)
0.75 oz Williamette (30 min)
0.75 oz Williamette (15 min)
0.5 oz Kent Goldings (0 min)
0.5 oz Kent Goldings (0 min)

WLP001 California ale yeast

I've never made used smoked malt in a beer before. Most of the recipes I've seen online use anywhere between 19-21% smoked malt in their grain bill.

I got the yeast and the hop additions from another robust smoked porter recipe, but the grain bill is all my own.

what do you guys thing? Good? Needs fixing?

looks pretty good to me....personally though I'd throw 4oz or so of Black Patent Malt in there and if you want the smokiness to come through more maybe add another pound or so of the smoked malt.

Should turn out pretty good either way though :)

3lbs huh... holy crap. I once used 1lb of smoked malt in a chocolate hazelnut smoked porter with a 12lb grain bill. It dominated the brew, tasting of bacon when young and mellowing out to ashtray when bottle aged. I'm not sure i ever want to use smoked malt again, at least not that much of it.

according to Briess, a smoked porter should use 30-60% of their smoked malt in the grain bill. i may have to go higher!!

I made a *slightly* modified version of Biermuncher's Loon Lake smoked porter and used 49% rauchmalt. I love it, but some friends of mine thought it was way too overpowering (I just found this out today when they finally cracked into some bottles I'd hooked them up with :) )....so if you've had smoked beers before and can handle it...up the rauch by 2 pounds or so.

I can totally handle it ;) I'm brewing this for some friends and a competition coming up though so I need to focus more on balancing the robustness with the smoked flavor. I think i may up the smoked malt by a pound while reducing the pale malt by a 1-1.5 lbs. That should put the smoked malt up to around 30% of the total bill.

Back