Yeast Temperature Effects Chart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister

Reaction score
I have tried the search and did not come up with what I am looking for. I thought I have seen a chart that listed all the yeast strains and what effects different temperatures will have on them. Has anyone seen something like this? (I am not talking about the temperature range for yeast, I have that one.)

Example what flavor difference will fermenting safale 05 at the lower end versus safale at the higer end?

Cheers

The closest thing I've seen to that description, which is freely available on the web, is this: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

Wyeast also has a similar chart which they have only (to my knowledge) made available in Brew Like a Monk. If there exists anything more comprehensive than these, I've yet to come across them.

If you're just looking for the Chico strain, though, I can sum it up easily for you:
Low temps: low esters, low flavor
Mid temps: low esters, low flavor
High temps: low esters, low flavor
Really high temps: hint o' funkiness

Thanks for the link... This might have been the one I remember seeing. I thought that it included more than just the Belgian styles. Thanks for the Chico strain info! So there is no significant difference in flavor unless you ferment really high temps? Maybe that is why White Labs only lists the Belgian styles in that chart. Are ale yeast not as sensitive?

Cheers

Are ale yeast not as sensitive?

Well, all those Belgian yeasts listed are ale yeasts, too, just fairly distinctive ones. The "info" about the Chico strain (1056/001/S-05) is a bit of humor from a guy who loves English and Belgian ales primarily, but there is some truth to it. As long as you pitch a reasonable amount and keep it under 74F or so, it's pretty neutral and generally lets the malt and hop character take the lead.

In very general terms, most American strains are fairly neutral, ferment well at a good range of temperatures, and flocculate at a medium rate. Most British strains bring a medium to high level of esters (all different types), do better at slightly cooler temps, and flocculate quickly. Belgian ale strains are all over the map in terms of ester and phenol profile, preferred temps, and flocculation tendencies. I'd use the chart for those, as they really do vary a good bit. These are gross simplifications, but they are generally true. Both Wyeast and White Labs have pretty decent descriptions on their websites, if that helps, and most strains seem to have at least a bit of discussion around here if you search. That said, if you're curious about on in particular, post away.

In very general terms, most American strains are fairly neutral, ferment well at a good range of temperatures, and flocculate at a medium rate. Most British strains bring a medium to high level of esters (all different types), do better at slightly cooler temps, and flocculate quickly. Belgian ale strains are all over the map in terms of ester and phenol profile, preferred temps, and flocculation tendencies. I'd use the chart for those, as they really do vary a good bit. These are gross simplifications, but they are generally true. Both Wyeast and White Labs have pretty decent descriptions on their websites, if that helps, and most strains seem to have at least a bit of discussion around here if you search. That said, if you're curious about on in particular, post away.

This is an excellent description. This could, of course, be expanded upon but for 90% of homebrewers this is about all they/we need to know. The rest can be gleaned from experience.

VERY well said.

VERY well said.

Thank you.:mug:

I just realized I forgot about German ale strains. In my defense, they tend not to be used as much, but one in particular I do like. they tend to fall into two distinct camps: the Alt/Kölsch strains and the Weissbier strains. The alt/kölsch strains typically throw a low amount of esters, ferment well at cold to moderate temps, and flocculate at a low to medium rate. Weissbier strains throw distinctive clove and banana flavors, primarily, do well at medium temperatures, and flocculate very slowly. Those are the simplifications, again.

This is an excellent description. This could, of course, be expanded upon but for 90% of homebrewers this is about all they/we need to know. The rest can be gleaned from experience.

VERY well said.
+1 Great info here. :rockin:
Now I can refer to this thread as well as threads on individual yeast strains. Maybe I can just put my own yeast chart together with this!!!

Thanks Again Guld!

Back