Apple-Spiced mead classification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudginsclan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I have an apple-spiced mead that I am planning to submit to a brewing competition later this month, but I'm in a bit of a quandary as far as classifying it.

The "apple" in the Apple-Spiced Mead came from steeping 4.4 lb of diced, fresh apples in the hot must at flameout, and then (once cooled) transferring them along with the must to the fermenter for the primary fermentation. After a few weeks, the product was racked off the apples into a secondary fermenter for conditioning.

My question is this: Is this properly a cyser or is it a mead?

It is my understanding that a cyser is the product of fermenting a mixture of honey and apple juice. Does adding apple to a mead such as I did qualify it as cyser?

Thanks!

Doug

I'd enter as category 26C (open category mead)

It doesn't fit spiced mead (26A):
If spices are used in conjunction with other ingredients such as fruit, cider, or other fermentables, then the mead should be entered as an Open Category Mead.

And it doesn't fit cyser (25A):
A spiced cyser, or a cyser with other ingredients, should be entered as an Open Category Mead.

www.bjcp.org

Latest posts

Back