WebControl I/O PIC for controller? BCS-like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vballdrummer

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this controller on EBay? Any thoughts on it's use as a brewery controller (aka the BCS) It seems similar, maybe not as refined or targeted to brewing, but does have more i/o. There is no internal PID type logic, just on/off.

8 Digital In
3 Analog In
8 Temp In (using DS18B30 sensors)
1 Humidity In

8 Digital Out (for SSR control)
20 timers
Web Control

It is currently listed as: WebControl timer temperature humidity I/O controller - eBay (item 260468226271 end time Sep-02-09 12:43:18 PDT)

I use one of these for my kegerator and for that function it works great. In my opinion this would make a poor brewery controller. While the on / off, timers, multiple IOs work fine, the lack of PID logic and slow clumsy web interface would make things challenging. Overall, the unit's processor seems under powered for any application requiring mission critical real time control and precise control.

I bought mine from Amazon for pretty cheap and have no regrets. It serves me as well as any other controller and I would think about another if I ever get my temperature controlled fermentor project off the ground. When I end up automating my setup I will probably go with a Arduino or LabJack and write an interface and PID logic on my Laptop.

It's sure cheaper than a BCS-460 and having 8 temp inputs is cool, but the BCS-460 is pretty well thought out as a brewery application. I have one, I haven't implemented it yet but playing around with it, it's a pretty powerful unit.

Great to hear from uncia -- that you've tried it. I really appreciate the opinion of the processor and other comments. Although it may have limited appeal as a brewery controller, the price may allow it to have a place alongside the BCS in the brewery to control other devices since they can both be accessed over a network.

I also agree with Darrin the BCS is spot on for what it's targeted for --- Oh, and I've got your thermowells bookmarked!

Although it may have limited appeal as a brewery controller, the price may allow it to have a place alongside the BCS in the brewery to control other devices since they can both be accessed over a network.

I'd recommend saving up the money and getting something capable of PID control, like a BCS or BrewTroller. You'll probably save money in the long run. Also keep in mind that the BCS (and BrewTroller?) can run multiple processes autonomously. So you can run things like a kegerator 24/7 in addition to brew sessions. I wish I had my BCS before a bought my ranco controller.....

I'd recommend saving up the money and getting something capable of PID control, like a BCS or BrewTroller.

I've got the change $$, just have not decided which route to go (BCS or BrewTroller) :confused: ... but my thoughts on that are for another thread.

Back