Different Rubs for Smoking Turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubs731

Reaction score
I've done many smoked turkeys and used a barbecue dry rub every time. I've had great success with it and everyone thinks it's delicious. I'd like to change it up this weekend and try a different kind of rub. Any ideas out there?

I don't have any experience in brining anything, what's the process?

make a mild brine using kosher salt, sea salt or any non-iodized salt. Add in a handful of raisins, maybe a cutup apple, peppercorns, thyme and maybe some rosemary. Actually, some grocery stores now stock brine kits with herbs. Soak you turkey in the brine--time depends on size of turkey. Go easy though. Steer clear of the overnightsoak suggestions unless you like salty turkey. then smoke as normal. Probably will take less time to cook and should be moister than your nonbrined product. Make sure you refrigerate while brining. If the bird is big they do sell large brining bags at many grocery stores. When I do a large bird (20 lb or larger) I clean one of my coolers, add turkey and fill with brine and ice.

Back