The forgotten Hef and my first kegging experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
Haven't posted here in a while laid off and depression and all but here is a story and a question at the same time.

Last Christmas my inlaws gave me some kit beers. I have an all grain set up but you know how inlaws are..."he's into beer let's get him some kits"
So around the end of january I brew this Hef from a kit and let it ferment. About the end of fermentation time we go on vacation for 10 days and I say to my self "self, it will be fine for ten more days. Don't forget about it." We get back from vacation and, well, I forgot, don't ask me how.
Now it is the last week of May and I go looking under the cabinet and what is this? A fermenter full of beer. O yea that hef is in there. Been there a long time. Probably ruined.
I'm not in the mood to bottle it and decide to buy my first keging setup. I go to keg connection and get their two keg double body set up and find a fridge on craigs list and keg the "forgotten hef"
I set the psi to about 12 or 13 and let her sit at 41 degrees for a week. Just a minute ago I say what the hell and poured myself a glass.

WHOA! Perfectly carbed and it doesn't taste bad at all! Of course there is no yeast in it but that's cause it sat for so long but HOLY CRAP! Good beer after that long in the fermenter!? 4 months?

Ok the questions. At the begining of the forced carb I had a little leak. Found it and the result was the pressure had gone from (full) 700psi to 550psi. I know that co2 is sold by weight but do I need to get more CO2 right away or can I still use it for a while?
What is the pressure drop of force carbing on a full keg without a leak? Any similar experiences would be helpful

Well, the beer is F'ing awesome. I'm naming it the forgotten hef cause it was and it was a good excuse to get a keg setup. Damnit that's good beer.

The pressure guage will drop a bunch if you stick it in the fridge. I get about 10-12 kegs carbed and served from a 10# tank. Use that bottle till it is out and then exchange. Good to hear you are back at it again. Keep up the brewing.

Back